Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Lupus and peripheral neuropathy

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Lupus and peripheral neuropathy

I've been treated for SLE for more than 5 years taking 400mg daily of hydroxchloroquine, acetaminophen and vicodin 5/500 2 daily. I cannot take ibuprofen due to kidney disease, although it was the best pain reliever.  About a year ago I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy.  The worst pain ever. 6 months on Nortriptyline, several on alpha lipoic acid, now on Lyrica.  Lyrica works! Still numb but pain relief.  Questions: Concerned about kidneys and new insurance doesn't want to cover Lyrica. They want me on gabapentin. I've been on Cobra for over 2 years and am really fed up with jumping through hoops while paying up to $2000 per month for cobra, copays, etc.  Lyrica works.  How hard should I fight?  I'm getting tired of the BS.
To add to the conversation--In cases of SLE with peripheral neuropathy chronic infections are common.  The types of infections found are usually those that can invade nervous tissue.  In these cases treatment of the infection resulted in recovery, suggesting that at least in some SLE cases chronic infections play an important role.

You can read more about this on our website, www.immed.org

Prof. Garth Nicolson
     I DON'T KNOW WHAT INCOME BRACKET YOU ARE IN BUT I WOULD CONTAC THE PHARMACUTICAL COMPANY.  SOME HAVE A PROGRAM IN WHICH YOU CAN APPLY FOR ASSISTANCE AND IF YOU QUALIFY, YOU WILL GET YOUR MEDS FREE OF CHARGE.  CHECK ON THE INTERNET.
Thanks. I don't work and my husband was unemployed for 2 yrs. and we went thru our 401k and maxed credit cards. Now that he has a job we probably won't qualify, but I will definitely check out this possibility. I feel guilty considering we now have an income, but on the edge of bankruptcy... Who isn't now?  Thanks for the info!
   THERE IS NOTHING TO FEEL GUILTY ABOUT. TIMES ARE TOUGH.  HAVE YOU CONSIDERED APPLYING FOR DISABILITY?  THAT IS ANOTHER OPTION.  MEDICARE DON'T KICK IN RIGHT AWAY BUT IT WILL HELP PAY FOR YOUR MEDS.  WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY.  KEEP YOUR CHIN UP.