Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Lupus
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lupus

My late husband contracted signs of lupus when he was 25.  He was a lawyer and his first system was it hurt to shake hands, At 16 he had a false positive syphilis test and again before our marriage.  He died at 44. He was on Dialysis and in a wheel chair with no feeling in his lower legs and threw a pulmonary embolism..  His mother also had lupus and died from complications when she was 49.  Should I have my 19 year old son tested?  What good would it do if his blood work came back positive if he has no symptoms. What are the chances of him getting it?
642304_tn?1242610324
My question to you is do you live in a Lyme endemic area?  Borrelia or other chronic, intracellular bacterial infection may have kicked off his condition, and along with his genetic susceptibility resulted in SLE.

If your son has no S/S, I don't know why you would want to have him tested, unless again your family was exposed to some sort of chronic infection like Lyme.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank