Lupus
My late husband contracted signs of lupus when he was 25.  He was a lawyer and his first system was it hurt to shake hands, At 16 he had a false positive syphilis test and again before our marriage.  He died at 44. He was on Dialysis and in a wheel chair with no feeling in his lower legs and threw a pulmonary embolism..  His mother also had lupus and died from complications when she was 49.  Should I have my 19 year old son tested?  What good would it do if his blood work came back positive if he has no symptoms. What are the chances of him getting it?
My question to you is do you live in a Lyme endemic area?  Borrelia or other chronic, intracellular bacterial infection may have kicked off his condition, and along with his genetic susceptibility resulted in SLE.

If your son has no S/S, I don't know why you would want to have him tested, unless again your family was exposed to some sort of chronic infection like Lyme.