Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Need help to figure out what is going on?

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Hi; My question is i have had symptoms progressivly worsen in the past 4 months...I have bouts of extreme pain in my base of my neck,upper back,chest,arm,jaw,elbow... Lately my chest pain has been so bad it will go into my arm and cause weakness in my arm... I have sleep apnea unknown cause yet? obstructive i have been told my neck looks swollen by the sleep tech.I have had my thyroid blood test was normal TSH (i think)tested for rheumotoid arthritis,lupus, nothing else..Had mri of neck to check for disks and such,,not sure if that would show thyroid..I am extremly fatiqued to the point my eyes will burn..i will get tenseness so bad even when not stressed..I do have hypocalcimia and very low vitamin d.. I thought i had some kind of infection? but not showing on blood test..Have mucus in stools yet cat scan shows nothing? I am very confused at this point ( i have gained weight)i'm miserable and just need an answer so i can move on and function..It is really taking a tole on me.
Your signs/symptoms point to chronic infection(s) as a possible underlying cause of your problems.  In similar cases we have found that chronic intracellular bacterial infections (Mycoplasma, Chlamydia, Borrelia, etc.) are present and they do cause morbidity.  When successfully treated, however, the symptoms slowly receded.  Other possible infections include viruses and even parasites.
I forgot to mention that my cheeks will turn beat red and that often i feel foggy and feverish it feels like i have had the flu for 4 months straight that shows no signs of clearing just getting worse.   Thanks
Thanks for your reply; I have had a cbc and stool sample and all is normal? I thought for sure i had a real bad infection due to my teeth..I do know that i had a pelvic infection that took 2 doses of antibiotics and also a tooth infection..But wouldn't the infection show in the blood test is there a certain test that needs to be done,?? Thanks for any advice...
It all depends on what tests were performed.  Often oral infections become systemic and can cause major problems.  Short-term antimicrobial treatments are often ineffective in completely suppressing such infections, especially if they are slow-growing intracellular cell wall deficient bacteria, but they can offer some short-term relief of symptoms.

For a list of some possible viral and bacterial infections to test for see Clinical Testing section on our website, immed.org
Hi' just an update i went to the gastro doc...because of some blood and mucus in stool.I guess the blood work did show that i have high sed rate 31.. And iga 35.5..low calcium..bun/creat 28?  low mbv?6.9/ low lymph 1.4? my liver was in oct alt-230  and ast-117 that they say was from excessive tylenol it is now at 27 & 46?  That is when i started to get all kinds of these symptoms that have got worse not better.  I am getting a sono of my thyroid because the doc said my throat looks puffy..Also scheduled in march for a second colonoscopy with scope both ends looking for chrohns or colitis (had 2 colon polyps removed only 2 yrs ago)? will be sceduling with a rheaumitologist soon.. Thanks for any help
Increased sed rate due to platelet clumping is quite common with these types of infections (cell wall deficient bacteria). They also cause low or in some cases high WBC counts.  Thyroid problems are often caused by thyroiditis or infection of the thyroid gland, usually resulting in abnormal thyroid hormone production.
Thanks for the reply ..I am working towards finding an answer..I do agree with you i believe it is an infection that is hard to figure out..  I will try to keep you posted. Take care