Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Psoriatic arthritis Enbrel HELP

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Psoriatic arthritis Enbrel HELP

I have severe psoriatic arthritis which was dx'd in 1969. I have tried every medication available for this disorder, (including gold injections back in '69 & '70) but never got anything beyond temporary relief. Three years ago, I was placed on Enbrel injections and within weeks was totally pain free for the first time in years. I felt like I'd gotten my life back. (I'm a 58 y/o female) Unfortunately, I have chronic sinus infections which means I must stop the Enbrel until the infections clear. Since my sinus infections are incredibly stubborn due to deformed sinuses, (they stopped growing when I was 5 y/o) It is often 6-8 weeks before I get the go ahead to resume Enbrel. My rheumo rx's Naproxen and Vicodin for these "off periods," but there is no relief. What would you suggest I try during these times? (My ENT said surgery would not help me) When I must d/c the Enbrel, within days I must use a cane and cannot climb the stairs in my home. I work in a hospital and am on the run all day. By the end of my shift, I am in serious pain with a lot of swelling.
Thank you  
It sounds like you need to revisit the possibility that an underlying infection is causing the problem.  When chronic intracellular bacterial infections, such as those caused by cell wall deficient bacteria (Mycoplasma, Chlamydia, Borrelia, etc.) invade the synovium, it can set up an autoimmune response, resulting in inflammation, pain, swelling, reduction in movement, etc.

The fact that you have sinus infections (do they correspond to times of maximum symptoms?) suggests that infections may be present.