Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Scarlet rashes, possible mycoplasm?

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Scarlet rashes, possible mycoplasm?

Hi Dr. Nicholson,

Thanks firstly for your time here on the forum.  I tried to ask a question yesterday but somehow I ended up posting in a different forum, so here I am again, wondering about rashes and mycoplasma.  

Could a rash that is non itchy with skin looking cracked and appears to be sunburned sometimes with a mild sunburn like ache (although I have never been sunburned on my glans (glands) before) indicative of mycoplasma infection?  The red skin feels slightly hot to the touch.   I suspect mycoplasma infection but I have not been able to get a test done for this.  I have had a persistent scarlet red rash on my glans (glands) that is not apparent unless I am aroused and I have had difficulty showing or explaining this to MDs as I am usually not excited to be in their office.  I have noticed the rash in some other areas but typically not as intense or apparent.  This rash started a few weeks after I developed NGU/NSU, and has persisted since despite trying many different types of creams and some antibiotics.

I have some elevated liver enzymes and tend to get side effects from medications. Could there be any benefit to trying long term low dose antibiotics therapy for mycoplasma, and could mycoplasma infection cause a cyst in the liver or bartholin cyst?  

Thanks again for your time and expertise.
Tags: mycoplasm, scarle rash
Yes, this is fairly common in patients with systemic Mycoplasma infections, but it also occurs in other chronic intracellular bacterial infections (Chlamydia, Borrelia, Brucella, etc.) and some viral infections as well but perhaps not as severe as in the former infection.

If you go to our website and download the treatment considerations, you will find several alternatives to antibiotics for treatment of chronic infections like Mycoplasma.  They may not be as effective as antibiotics, but some patients can’t tolerate antibiotics and have few alternatives that can be considered.  We usually don’t really recommend low-dose antibiotics, because they tend to set up resistance strains of the infection by selection.
Prof. Nicolson
Thanks again Dr. Nicolson for your time and all of your efforts.  I had blood and urinary tests for Chlamydia, but not for other intracellular infections.  I would like to have more tests ran, but am having difficulty finding someone locally who is willing to fully investigate or deal with such a complicated case.  

I have perused the treatment considerations portion of the site and I see a lot of good information that will take me some time to digest.  I am curious if the supplement S-Ame is mentioned in any of it and the previous question was in regards to a treatment regimen for chronic infections which I had read about called the Marshall protocol.  

Thanks again for your time and best wishes for the future.
The supplement that you mention has been used but with mixed results, so we are careful about recommending it.  Also, many of the supplements are useful, but not for everyone.  Not all patients respond to the supplements listed as useful, but in general, most do respond positively.

The Marshall protocol is difficult to follow for most patients, and not all patients respond to this therapy approach.  However, some patients report good results with this protocol, so I consider it worthwhile to investigate.

Prof. Nicolson