Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Skin rash that burns and intense itching with facial edema, postive ANA...

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Skin rash that burns and intense itching with facial edema, postive ANA titer

Ok history back in 1994 I had a flare of an unknown condition.  Had a rash to my trunk and face that was itching and burning.  Went to ER they had to clue what it was ended up leaving went to my PCP and was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea.  Didn't think anything of it then in 2005 had another flare that was more intense this time.  Rash to face more pronounced on one side with facial edema.  Rash was painful, burning, and raised.  Went to a new PCP who thougth I might have Lupus.  I had a positive ANA, and higher sed rate but subsequent tests for Lupus were negative.  Again resolved on it's own w/o medication.  Then last month I had my worst flare, but it was gone within a week.  Seems like benadryl helps the best with cool soaks and sun exposure.  I want to see a Rheumatolgist to finally have a diagnoses but hard to see when flaring as it seems to occur years apart and only happens when under severe stressors.  Any thoughts?
In the post before yours I suggested trying Benadryl to see if some sort of allergic reaction might be involved.  You have done this already, and it seems to give you some relief.  However, there appear to be other problems, as indicated by a positive ANA, increased Sed rate, etc. that appear to be cyclic.

I really feel that these signs/symptoms could be the result of a chronic infection(s) (the relapse when you are strressed also fits with this notion).  We see similar signs/symptoms in patients who have chronic intracellular bacterial infections, especially the rashes and Lupus-like symptoms.  Often these patients and their physicians are confused, because it is often difficult to clearly diagnose Lupus.  Thus such patients usually receive a diagnosis of atypical Lupus or no diagnosis at all.

Prof. Garth Nicolson

A related discussion, Symptons and a Rhumatoligist was started.