Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Swollen red hot feet and swollen lips and face

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

My feet are now red with hot itchy spots!!! Last week my lips and face on one side were swpllen and before that about a week earlier the left side of my tongue was swollem.My breathing was not affected!!
This has been called Charcot Arthropathy, and it is a form of arthritis that affects patients with peripheral neuropathy. The typical symptoms are a red hot, swollen foot. It usually happens to the middle of the foot and presents with pain to the area. This is unusual for patients that typically did not have pain previously. Diabetes is often the underlying cause of peripheral neuropathy. Also, chronic infections may be involved.

Charcot is a progressive disorder that is characterized by three stages of the disease process: acute, coalescent, and chronic. During the acute stage, there is a red hot swollen foot that is painful.

If an infection is involved, usually other symptoms will slowly develop.