Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Systemic yeast infections

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Systemic yeast infections
I have not had yeast problems, but this comes up on the MedHelp Lyme forum from time to time, we'd appreciate your thoughts:

Systemic yeast infections can cause symptoms that overlap with Lyme, and therefore, a Lyme patient on long-term antibiotics may develop a bad yeast problem and not even know it.

Do you have any advice or information on specific signs that one is suffering from a yeast problem?  We're all told to take probiotics, but I've never been given more detailed advice, or told what the warning signs of systemic yeast infection are.

On behalf of the Lyme forum, many thanks!
The problem with chronic infections in general is that they tend to stimulate similar host responses that result in some of the commonly found signs/symptoms seen in a variety of syndrome and diseases.  In the case of common fungal infections, these can often be seen on blood smears as obvious fungal forms. They can also be found and confirmed using antibody tests on blood or serum.  They respond to anti-fungals not antibiotics, and their treatment depends importantly on diet as well as fungal medicines.

Sometimes long-term treatment of bacterial infections results in fungal overgrowth, which is why probiotics are so important (at keeping common fungal infections at bay).  If the highly pathogenic fungi are involve, they probably need to be treated directly.  ProfGN
A related discussion, I'm having a los of problems and I'm looking for a good diagnostician was started.
A related discussion, Response to wonko was started.