Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
What could this be after one year?

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

What could this be after one year?

I was finally able to have an MRI at the Univ.of PA due to my having a pacemaker, and it showed nothing,which has me worried.  It seems that all of the "manageable"neuro diseases are being ruled out--and I've been tested for infections, cancer, thyroid problems, etc. My symptoms persist: fatigue, weakness in left arm and heaviness.tired feeling in both legs.  Also have muscle twitching under skin. Am beginning to notice a loss of appetite and some weight loss. I know my left wrist is smaller than it was months ago; my shoes are also too big--I'm noticing some  loss of "bulk" in my feet. Doctor wants to repeat the EMG for a 3rd time.  Now have neurogenic bladder and must go to UVA for bladder study.  Could this be Primary Lateral Sclerosis? If it were ALS, would my condition be even worse by now? Thank you for some insight.
I would not want to second guess your neurologist, but you should also be checked for certain chronic infections that occur in high frequency in atypical MS, atypical ALS and other neurodegenerative conditions (I am assuming that you do not have a complete clinical diagnosis for one of these neurological diseases).  

The types of infections that should be considered are probably not the ones that you were tested for in the first place, such as Mycoplasma, Chlamydia, Borrelia, etc. and viruses such as HHV6 and HSV.
Thank you for your response, but after "researching" each of the above infections you mention, I'm a bit offended.  I have been married 32 years with one sexual partner.  I do not have any sexually transmitted disease!  While I am certainly not a doctor, my symptoms fit none of the above infections that you mention.  

Sincerely,
These are not usually strictly considered sexually transmitted diseases; however, they can be transmitted via fluid exchange and/or sexual relations.  They can also be transmitted via airborne infection routes.  For example, Mycoplasma species are commonly found in atypical pneumonia.   Even in patients who do not present with acute pneumonia, they can become systemic and present as chronic illnesses whose diagnosis usually depends on which organs and tissues are infected and the outcome.