Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
XMRV retrovirus found in CFIDS

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

XMRV retrovirus found in CFIDS

The recent research showing roughly 2/3 of CFIDS sufferers having the rodent retrovirus XMRV (presented in SCIENCE journal and the online newsletter from CFIDS Assoc.) would suggest that this would be a logical virus to test for in many of the diseases from your list of specialties.
What is your opinion at present?
If one were to electively be tested for this what would be a good lab to use, or what lab did they use? Thank you!
There is a lot of excitement about the XMRV virus and chronic fatigue syndrome.  There is much less information available on other conditions.  This virus by itself may not cause the disorder, and it may depend on other co-infections, similar to HIV-1 and HIV/AIDS.  The XMRV virus may affect the immune system, resulting in opportunistic infections that actually cause the CFS morbidity, but it is too soon to know about this.

The one commercial lab that I have personal knowledge of (VIP Labs of Reno, NV) currently tests for XMRV.
I've been following the XMRV news closely. At present, there are two commercial labs offering XMRV testing. The Whittemore Petersen Institute who published the study in Science has released a press release endorsing VIP Dx Laboratories for XMRV testing.

http://www.wpinstitute.org/WPI%20Release%20Diagnostic%20Test.pdf

The other laboratory is Cooperative Diagnostics. John Coffin, a virologist who wrote the accompanying editorial for the Science article spoke at the CFS Advisory Committee meeting on October 29 and advised against using this lab at this time.  

http://www.codiagnostics.com/XMRV/index2.php
Thanks for your responses, both to Garth and massagenj.
I seem to have every symptom on the check off list and also seem to get every little oppourntunistic infection blown in my general direction?
I already tested positive for Lyme thru Igenex Labs, possitive MRI in my pons and clinical S&S.  That treament was done 04/09.  My neurologist told me my fibroneuralgia and CFS were just leftovers from the neuro late stage Lyme.  Now I begining to wonder if I should ge tested for XMRV.  I'll bet you "Dollars to Donuts"  I test positive.  What do you think?
Hey Gayle -

I was just wondering what test did you do through Igenex Labs?  I have take the basic testing through my Neurologist - but that came out negative.  I'm pretty sure that I have Lymes disease - I was bit twice on my honeymoon.  I have Fibromyalgia and now I am having neurolgical problems in my back and legs (mostly thighs).  Burning, tingling pain.

Thanks so much.
I used Igenex Labs.  I called them and asked them what tests I needed then my Dr. signed the request and discussed the results with their pathologist at Igenex.
Patients with systemic Lyme Disease essentially always have co-infections, such as (in order of prevalence): Mycoplasma > Bartonella > Babesia > Ehrlichia and other infections.  These can be present with or without Lyme Borrelia burgdorferi, and all can be carried by the same insect that carried the Borrelia infection.  This can cause subtle differences in signs/symptoms in patients, and often these co-infections are not considered (although they should be) in treatment plans.  

Your FMS and burning, tingling skin pain (Does this feel like a sunburn?) could be peripheral neuralgia caused by a chronic infection invading peripheral nerves.

A possible link to the XMRV virus could be immune suppression.  Since normal subjects without symptoms can have XMRV infections (like HIV-1-positive subjects without AIDS), the XMRV may be more important in immune dysfunction than in directly causing symptoms.  We obviously have much more to learn about this virus and its relationship to chronic illnesses, and hopefully future research will tell us exactly what role this virus plays in chronic illnesses.