Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
does Graves predispose you to prediabetes

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

53 year young female with treated Graves for over 5 years -- taking Cytomel for over 5 years - approximately 25 pounds overweight - does Graves predispose you to diabetes
Here are the facts:  the incidence of thyroid diseases in the general population is about 6%.  However, the incidence of thyroid diseases in diabetics is about 10.8% suggesting a possible link between the two disorders.

It has been thought for some time that thyroid dysfunction may affect diabetes.  Thyroid dysfunction (hyperthyroidism) is linked to worsening glycemic control and increased insulin resistence, both strong indicators in pre-diabetes and obvious problems in diabetes.  Therefore, the answer appears to be yes in the case of hyperthyroidism.

Where this becomes difficult is that Graves can cause hyper-thyroidism, but in some cases it shuts down thyroid gland activity, producing hypothyroidism.

Prof Garth Nicolson

Graves is an autoimmumne disease.

It is common people to end up with two or more autoimmune disease.

I will use myself as a example.

When i was 20 i found out i had graves. six months prior my mother was diagnosed graves also.

31 years later. I am now diagnosed  with MS.

MS site i belong to,  There is people who now also have problems with their thyroid . After being confirmed with MS. Or living with MS for years and years. Now having thyroid problems  

A related discussion, Is it possible that I have Graves, due to having strep throat, I also have had a baby too! She was 10 1/2 months when i was diagnosed. was started.