Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
non-menopausal flushing & sweating

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

non-menopausal flushing & sweating

I am a senior citizen who has over the last 15-20 years  been diagnosed with FMS, IBS and mild CFS, the IBS being the most debilitating. Although undiagnosed, I am convinced I also have SAD.  In addition, I am on medication for high blood pressure and have lumbar stenosis aggravated by a small fracture - my toes, the outside of both feet and both hands often feel numb.  Multiple times on a daily basis I am affected with an overall flushing of the neck, face & ears, accompanied by profuse perspiration from the scalp.  Although it happens without warning, I can tell you that I may be outside in the summer heat and feel fine, but the minute I enter an air-conditioned environment, the sweat pours from my head, into my eyes etc. - it is embarrassing to say the least. It does not appear to be triggered by any food ( I normally do not eat when I am out because of the IBS).  My doctor (GP) has been unable to find a solution and I am at my wits' end. Are you able to suggest anything?
Not to your particular situation; however, we have found that patients with chronic infections such as Mycoplasma often sweat profusely, especially at night, but often after temperature changes.  The other symptoms of CFS and IBS have also been noted at high frequency in such patients.
Good morning & thank you. Your response sent me searching for "mycoplasma/chronic infections", although I normally do not like to "self-diagnose".  Recently I had a bout of what was referred to as bronchitis (possibly pneumonia). My GP put me on Zithromax after which I had major problems taking a deep breath. Once again, he was at a loss and suggested a sleep apnea test for which there is a 6-month wait. Consequently, I visited a local walk-in clinic in a diagnostic center, was re-diagnosed with bronchitis and put on Biaxin, which appears to have cleared things up. At the same time I visited a naturopath, who put me on a probiotic to counter the effect of the AB and it has done wonders for the bloating/pain associated w/IBS. None of this has had any effect on the "sweats".  What tests would you propose to discover whether there is a chronic infection?
Thankk you  
I LIVE IN THE HUMID SOUTH.  THE SWEATING FROM MY HEAD IS MORE THAN EMBARRASSING ITS LIFE ALTERING.  HAVE BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE A TEEN BUT IN CALIFORNIA IT WAS MOSTLY SWEATING UNDERARMS & BACK.
NOW I HAVE THOUGHT THAT MAYBE SINCE MY NORMAL TEMPERATURE IS 97.4
THAT MAYBE BECAUSE MY BODY IS COOLER INSIDE THAN THE AVERAGE PERSON I FEEL THW OUTSIDE HEAT MORE.  WHAT DO YOU THINK?  IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO IF I CHECK OUT THIS INFECTION THING AND FIND NOTHING THERE.   HELP PLEASE    DON'T WANT TO GO ON THIS WAY.
The responses to antibiotics certainly strongly suggest a chronic infection.  Most chronic bronchitis patients have chronic respiratory infections, and they are often systemic and cause other problems as well, such as night sweats and other temperature regulatory problems.  Often there are many more symptoms, but patients are not looking for these, and they are often not reported to their physicians.  Some common chronic infections and how they are diagnosed are listed on our website, www.immed.org under Clinical Testing.
I would first check out to see if you might have additional problems.  You might fill out an Illness Survey Form from our website, www.immed.org  under Signs and Symptoms.  Although it will take some time, the information could prove useful to you and your physician.  If there are other signs/symptoms, then depending on what they are, you and your physician might consider one or more chronic infections.  If you don’t have any other problems or signs/symptoms, then a temperature regulation problem could be involved.
Rhanks so much Dr. Nicolson.   You gave me hope.  Thank you very very much.
Hello Dr.Nicholson,and once again, thank you. I will definitely visit the Clinical Testing section of your site. You have been very helpful.