Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
what does a positive RNP antibody mean
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

what does a positive RNP antibody mean

HI,
I recently had blood work done which showed a positive ana result and elevated c reactive protein. They did some further testing and found I had a positive RNP sresult. What does this mean and what could cause it? Also should I be on any medication after these findings?
Related Discussions
642304_tn?1242610324
Antibodies against ribonucleoproteins are found in mixed connective tissue diseases, such as Lupus, inflammatory muscle disease and Scleroderma and form part of the diagnostic tests for these diseases.   High RNP titers are also often found in RA, Sjogren’s Syndrome, MS and other diseases but are not considered characteristic for these diseases.

Anti-RNP are considered autoimmune antibodies and come about when cells die and their nuclear components are released into the surrounding environment where they can trigger an antibody response.  Such findings are considered diagnostic and specific treatments for this do not exist to my knowledge.

1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, Positive RNP was started.
Blank
A related discussion, high rnp and crp was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank