Autoimmune Thyroid Disorders Suck! User Group
New to thyroid problems & scared
About This Group:

Let's face it; living with thyroid disorders (autoimmune or not) can completely suck! And nobody knows this or truly understands it unless they go through it. This group was created for those who experience the numerous trying symptoms that the thyroid/immune system can throw at us, so we can empathize with one another, and/or share a few tips and tricks to cope.

Founded by Lori575 on October 2, 2009
144 members

New to thyroid problems & scared

Just found out my thyroid is not working right.  Stupidly I have no idea what my numbers are but I've been on synthroid .5 for over a month. Last week I went in early for a re-check since I have been feeling worse on the meds.  My heart rate was 180 and they wanted to put me in the hospital.  Luckily they gave me some pill in the office and sent me home with a heart monitor and bystolic-sp? some samples of a  beta blocker to lower my rate.  I have been the picture of health my entire life and this has stopped me in my tracks!  I am also having horrible memory problems.  I had radiation for acne 30 years ago and am concerned that's what's causing my troubles now.  Should I see a specialist?  My mother is insisting I go both to a cardiologist and an endo.  My family doctor says wait another month or so to see if they can get me stable.  Any suggestions?  Who or what kind of doctor would be best to monitor my thyroid for cancer?  An endo?
Also my meds are only based on my TSH level.  Shouldn't you have more blood work to get a complete picture?  Thanks so much-
Aw, sorry you are having so many problems.  I would definitely go see an Endocrinologist for sure.  It's their specialty, and they should check you for more then just your TSH level.  You need complete bloodwork, including Free T3, Free T4, and you should also be tested for autoimmune thyroid diseases, such as Graves or Hashimotos.  
I am really surprised they didn't send you to see a cardiologist after your episode.  
Having memory problems is common with thyroid patients.  My levels are supposively in the "normal" range right now, and I still have cognitive issues.  It stinks!!
Sometimes it takes a while to get the medication adjusted so your levels are normal for you.  I'd recommend you go see an Endo ASAP!
Good luck!

Thank you so much Lori.  I live in a small town and dont know a single person who can relate so your post is very much appreciated!!!  The strangest and most wonderful thing happened yesterday.  I woke up at 6  and did not feel exhausted.  First time in over 6 weeks. I felt half way normal most of the day but was afraid to way anything to my family because I've had a couple good days and then I'd end up in bed the following 2 days afterward.  Today I got up at 7 still feeling good so have a turned a corner?  I go back to the doctor today and will ask him to refer me to an endo.  I dont wanna have to take heart med along with thyroid meds unless I have too and I am hoping the right dose of sythroid will stop the heart problems.   A friend who is a phyciatrist-sp?  recommended  I get someone  to keep a close watch for thyroid cancer since I had radiation for acne in college.  What kind of doctor "watches" for that?  Can an endo or do I need an oncologist? Thanks again, your post is very much appreciated!!
a2bc2 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 23
Risa615 commented on Jewels63's status
Jul 23
Risa615 commented on Moma_Cher's status
Jul 22