Autoimmune Thyroid Disorders Suck! User Group
RAI or Surgery to treat hyperthyroidism?
About This Group:

Let's face it; living with thyroid disorders (autoimmune or not) can completely suck! And nobody knows this or truly understands it unless they go through it. This group was created for those who experience the numerous trying symptoms that the thyroid/immune system can throw at us, so we can empathize with one another, and/or share a few tips and tricks to cope.

Founded by Lori575 on October 2, 2009
147 members

Hello, could someone please share your experiences in dealing with hyperthyroidism and what treatment you chose?  Since mid 2008 I was treated with PTU twice for periods of about one year, but unfortunately had short remissions.  I am going to be 35 next month and want to have a family.  Would you say doing RAI could be a good choice (meaning I probably have to wait one year before trying to get pregnant) or do the surgery?  I am scared of having the surgery because of the risk of damage to my vocal cords.  Can that really happen nowadays?  If you could do it all over again what would you choose???  Is it easier to get pregnant with RAI or sugery? Or should i just continue on antithyroid drugs.  Many thanks! :-)
Risa615 commented on mhv's status
Dec 20
Corilee21 joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 20
Risa615 commented on cheekyhalfs's status
Dec 19