Autoimmune Thyroid Disorders Suck! User Group
Thyroid Cancer?
About This Group:

Let's face it; living with thyroid disorders (autoimmune or not) can completely suck! And nobody knows this or truly understands it unless they go through it. This group was created for those who experience the numerous trying symptoms that the thyroid/immune system can throw at us, so we can empathize with one another, and/or share a few tips and tricks to cope.

Founded by Lori575 on October 2, 2009
143 members

Thyroid Cancer?

My name is Laurie.  I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's for about 10 years now.  I am 39.  In the last few years I felt like I could feel something a little strange in my throat when I swallowed but Endo's didn't seem worried.  Now, in the last month, I have definately had pain swallowing.  It is on the right side and I can feel pain as I am completing a swallow.  It has fluctuated some, but worse last few days and my voice is becoming mildly hoarse especially at end of the day.  I read online that these can be signs of thyroid cancer.  I am freaking myself out a bit and want to go get a biopsy now, but all I can do is call my Endo in the morning and see what he says.  I am worried that he will ignore my concerns.  My question to all of you that have had thyroid cancer, is this how your symptoms started?  I cannot feel any noticeable lump but there is pain when I push around on the right side of my throat with my fingers and locate a sensitve spot.  As a side note, had some recent blood work for different concerns and everything normal except slightly elevated liver enzyme (AST is 49).  Any thoughts would be appreciated.    Very worried.  -laurie
1 Comment
Hi Laurie,

My name is Lori, I'm 39, and I also have Hashi's (and Graves).  :-)

I'm sorry you're going through this.  I had a small goiter and nodules a while back, which have shrunk, luckily.  I had the FNA done and it came back negative for cancer, but I was told by the doctor that IF you were to have cancer, that's one place you'd be luckiest to have it because it is very rare that it would spread, and easily removed. So please don't get too worked up about it.

I have had issues with swallowing and pain as well, but was told mine was from GERD and not the thyroid.  I'm not sure what to believe there, because sometimes I get a feeling as if someone's squeezing my throat, and I'll get this "sick" feeling in that area, hard to explain.  Have you been checked for GERD or acid reflux?

Good luck to you!

Lori
Risa615 commented on photo
Jul 10
Risa615 commented on Lynniepooh's status
Jul 09
Risa615 commented on photo
Jul 09