943?1301585782
Baby Food Group User Group
Feeding Problems
About This Group:

Help, tips and suggestions for parents on the topic of baby food. When to start, how to start, menu suggestions, questions and how to make your own baby food.

Founded by Heatherm4 on March 31, 2011
34 members

Feeding Problems

So I started Jake on Oatmeal cereal a little over a week ago.  He is still having trouble eating from the spoon.  Should I give up and just give him his bottles instead.  He was eating 6 8oz. bottles a day so the doctor said he was taking in too much fluid and would like to get him started on solids.  He gets so frustrated with the spoon and just cries.  I can get about 4 scoops into him before he gets mad.  He knows what to do because the first few scoops go in and he takes the cereal and swallows it.  Then after those couple bites it is all over and he spits it everywhere or he just cries and lets the cereal sit in his mouth.  Once I give him a bottle he is happy as a clam.  What should I do?  Should I try skipping cereal and going to some fruits that might taste better?  Doc said to start him on stage 1 foods at 5 months which is still 2 1/2 weeks away.  Is it ok to start earlier than that?
I just commented on your question in the first time parents forum! LOL
If he takes 4 scoops then just give him 4 scoops...that must be all he can handle right now. Or maybe give him the bottle first and then give him his solids. I breastfeed but what I do is breastfeed my son and then sit him in his highchair and feed him his solids. You could go right to fruits or veggies. I make my sons food and the first food he tried after cereals was avacado and he LOVES it. Have him sit with you while you eat so he can mimic you. Before starting my son on solids I had him sit in his chair while I ate and I would give him a spoon to play with. I could tell when he was ready because he would look like he was chewing and would watch intently at what I was doing and would even grab at my food if he was close enough!

But like I said in your other post, it may be the fact that he just isn't ready yet. The doctor doesn't know how your child is, you do and it's not going to hurt him to wait or take it slow. He isn't starving that's for sure!! All babies are different and you don't want to start his first impressions of food to be a negative one.
HAHA.  I know I did post there too.  I tried my finger and that seemed to work but I don't want him to get used to my finger I want him to get used to a spoon.  

He was able to eat a very small bowl today of oatmeal.  I try to get him excited and say yay jake when he swallows it and he laughs and get excited for his next bite.  I am glad you said to sit him with us while we eat.  My husband was raised having family dinner at the table every night.  We started that with Jake since he has been born.  He sat in his car seat on the table at first and now he is big enough to sit in his highchair while we eat at the table.  He just watches (more like stares) at us while we eat.  I am hoping he will get more interested but you are right I wont push the issue.  I do not want him to associate eating as a miserable thing so I will take it slow and not stress so much.

Thank you for both of your posts :)
Melissa_71 commented on photo
Oct 10
Melissa_71 commented on photo
Oct 10
Melissa_71 Happy thanksgiving weekend ... Comment
Oct 10