Baby Products Community
Cloth Diapers 101 (long)

The Baby Products community is for discussions around various baby products offering suggestions, help and the best places to buy. This includes strollers, car seats, high chairs, toys, bottles, diapers,etc. Please note, links will be allowed in this community to discuss sales, but spamming and affiliate programs will not be tolerated

Cloth Diapers 101 (long)

Have you thought of cloth diapering? or "CD" I have info in short for anyone who needs to know the ins and outs.

CD is not full of soaking through, stains and washing and is definetly not like stories your grandma or even mom talked about. It is easy cute and can be very fun!

There are lots of CD on the market to fit your life style and needs.

AIO's    all in ones and there are all in two's too. Pro's they are like a sposie(disposable) where you do not need to stuff with a liner and are ready to use, Less to wash and less in the diaper bag, Con's they take longer to dry as they are thicker and they come in sizes like regular sposies so you would need to re buy for each size.

AIT's    all in twos are the same as all in ones but have the liner either snaps on the inside or is sewn on, either way it takes less time to dry and there is no stuffing or extra cover needed.

Fitteds     are fitted cotton or bamboo prefolds but fitted around the legs and some snap or velcro or just lay around the belly. They are easier then folding flat prefolds and are less bulky under clothing, but you would need to get each size as abby grows, yet they are cheaper then all in ones and can be used with a cover for all sizes but just buy up in the fitteds. They can be easier then prefold and can just be pulled up depending on the type and are great for ECing (elimination communication)

Pockets    Are covers that either snapor have hook and loop which is velcro. They come in all types of material and can be stuffed with however much or how little of absorbancy you need. Which is great for heavy wetters and nighttime use. They dry fast and you stuff them ahead of time then they are as easy as using a AIO or sposie.

Prefolds and Flats     these aer your good old very trusty diapers. They are prefolded which have extra exorbancy down the middle or are flat and can be used for differnet sizes depending how you fold them. There are lots of differnet folds to learn and many moms no matter what they buy have these for back up or home use as they wash and dry great and are cheap! And you do not need the old dipaer pins and worry about poking baby, THey have "Snappies" which pull on the material and strectch but do not have pins or anything to hurt baby! Awsome invention! YOu can use these alone for light wetting or can use a cover with them, also you can use a liner for extra absorbancy when needed. they come in defferent sizes and types, Indian, Chinese prefolds and Birdseye flats, Under the Nile and Green Mountian Baby has some great prefolds!

Hybrids  are diapers that can use different insides. THey can use organic liners, cloth, or disposable liners you put into the potty or refuge. They are great for people who like to be able to use sposies when out or daycare or when you have a sitter but still want to use cloth and ease on the wallet and environment. There are many types on the market with great reviews.

Covers   these are not your plastic pants! They are cute and loads to choose from. They have many with leg gussets to stop leakage out from the legs which note not all have this! They have one sizes options and where you buy each size. The one size option has snaps up the front to adjust and are very easy!! Now they have cute colors and patterns too which is fun to find.

One size   These are diapers that you only need to buy once from usually 5-35lbs. They work great and can be more up front but worth your money in the end and way less then getting diapers for each size. BUm Genius 4.0 is the #1 on the market and is wonderful! They can be AIO, AIT, Hybrids and Pockets an Covers. So one size dipaers is a reat way to go! Exspecially if you have two in dipaers you only need to pack one diaper for either to use.

Liners and Wipes    Liners can be used with any type of cloth diaper, some come with them and some are sold seperately. There aer bamboo, cotton, microfiber and fleece which is SUPER absorbant but not all babies can use the material. They have nighttime and thin ones. And don't forget you cloth wipes, why not when you use CD, just use and throw in the pail or wrap up with the diaper when your out! Great for a NO rash baby!!

Cloth diapers run about $100-$300 for a good supply of 2 days worth of diapers till birth to toddler. NOw considering what you spend in sposies it is a drop in the bucket! They are washed cold rinse, hot wash and extra rinse with natural organic detergent, I buy Babyganics at Babies R Us for $7 and still have more then 1/4 left in 7 months time. You use half if what you use for regular clothes! Allen's, Green Mountian, Tiny Bubbles, are a few good ones that have gotten great reviews. If you have stains then after they are wet you lay or hang them in the sun to remove the stains TOTALLY! Vineger in the wash helps with oders if you get them. You take off baby and just throw in your pail and wash every other day. Very simple! They also ahve a sprayer when baby starts eatting foods that hooks up to the toilet valve.

A few good sites are Cotton Babies, Under The Nile, Green Mountian Babies and many communities to buy used ones like Diaper Swappers. I suggest to anyone thinking about buying CD to buy a few of differnt types to start to see what fits you the best and what baby can use good. Just like not all diapers are made the same not all bums are made the same!

I hope this has been informative to you all who were wondering! Please let me know any questions you may have and please I hope some one out there who has used them can post info also!

I am not one of those who yearns for the good old days. The 20th century brought us kleenex, sanitary napkins, tampons and - disposable diapers. Oh, joy!
My sister said no matter how green the enviroment would get she would stil stick to sposies also;)

It is a growing trend though and quit a few hospitals along the California coast and in CO use them. I ised sposies with my first and now use cloth and EC. I just hate spending the money and with the economy the way it is many are looking to save what money they can. And of course you have the chemicals in things like bleach and formaldihide in sposies and tampons. They can make things greener and healthier but they don't.

I will be posting about sposies at a later date if you would care to post on it for your experiences.
I tried the gDiapers when my son was about 2 months and the bands around the top was too wide and thick and cut into his tummy. Then after that I didn't buy any more. I wanted to try a different brand like bum genius but my husbadn has kinda turned off by the price. I also wish we had a diaper service that would come and pick up the dirty diapers and wash them. I know they typically have them in the city but not out where we live, which is a bummer.
that has happened with a newborn I bought, I actually forget the name of them. I have 4 Bums 4.0 which are $18.95 a piece but they are one size and Eco Bum which is a cover and prefold you can buy a days worth for $50 or two days is all you would need and it seems to be the best with leakage as Bums and the cheapest. Just one dipaer is only $10 from what I remember. I also have unbleached prefolds chineese and use Thirsties which I love and thye come in two sizes. It says they size one works for up to 18 lbs but I found it seems to cut off at 15lbs and then you need th enxt size. They are $12.95 and have the leg gussests which I love! Then I was given some which I do not know the name of which are bamboo and snap so when we EC I use them as undies lots of the time.

I do not have a diaper service where I live either. I was lucky my DH used cloth with his first due to money so he knows how much they save and was fully open to the whole idea.

Gotta love you fluff stash! Oh and I suggeset you to sell your G diapers on diaper swappers, you will sell fast!
I was overseas in a third-world country when my third baby was born. She was very fair and suffered terribly from diaper rash. On the plane coming back to the States the stewardess gave me a disposable diaper for her. Baby's bottom was very happy. My first purchase after arriving was disposable diapers. No more diaper rash. Need I say more?
i recently saw a few at babies r us... does anyone know if they are any good? i am considering cloth diapers and would like to know where is the best place to buy them.
I think the ones at Babies R Us are the gDiapers, I didn't like them much but who knows you might. I think tehey run small though. I'll have to try that diaper swapper thing...I only have 2 diapers though..and a full pack of the inserts. Think it'd be worth it?
I suggest looking at cotton babies web site for some, you will have no hassle for returns and they have good prices and deliver fast! I have not heard good on the ones from Bbaies R Us, the ones you get off line, those are Bummis right? I heard they are not good fit and leak with heavier wetters. If you want a good newborn cover get the pro wrap it has the imbilical cut out. Now for up to I say maybe 9lbs the premiee size prefold is great and later you can use them as liners or stuffers. Look at a few different types you may want to try and look at the seconds as they are cheaper and new with maybe a tag sewed on wrong. If you go to thier facebook paage they will tell you when the seconds get there cuz they go fast. I got nicker nappie, pro wraps, and Thirsties all in one xs for newborn, I only spent $80 for all of it and it went till Henry was 3-4 weeks old or longer for some types. I got mine at diaper swappers we b site. including the brand new bamboo premiee prefolds. Then I had a good idea what I wanted to use for him after that. You can buy one at a time and build your fluff stash!! That was the most exciting time except for seeing them actually on him:) I have a picture of him in a prefold I think on my profile, along with a wool covers I made out of Carhart wool boot socks.

OH and the WAHM (work at home mom) they have great ones taht are very equal to brand ones and you can get them in a bigger selection of designs.

hope this helps!
I have researched CD and I know a few people using SoftBums. I love the idea of the toggle for adjustable size along the legs. It gives more adjustment and a better fit than the snaps which are pretty much set to a size. There more expensive. but you only have to buy them once versus buying all the different sizes. If I do go with cloth diapers this is the one I'm going to go with.