Baby Products Community
Cribs for shorter moms

The Baby Products community is for discussions around various baby products offering suggestions, help and the best places to buy. This includes strollers, car seats, high chairs, toys, bottles, diapers,etc. Please note, links will be allowed in this community to discuss sales, but spamming and affiliate programs will not be tolerated

Cribs for shorter moms

Hi, I'm 5'1" and I am now looking for cribs to start our nursery. I would appreciate the suggestions of other short moms like myself. Should I get a drop side crib or are there other cribs that will allow me to reach the babies easily?

Thank you in advance.

Maya
Tags: crib
You can get any crib you want if you cut 2 or 3 inches off the legs.
I'm 5'1" and I got a crib with the drop side. It works perfect for me.
What brand did you get? Can you provide a link to the crib online? That would be so helpful and much appreciated.
Storkcraft Charlotte 4-in-1 Crib with Trundle - Cognac
We bought it from babiesrus.
there are some nice mini cribs which convert to twin size beds instead of double beds.  The davinci annabelle is really nice, as well as the davinci emily.  I like that the annabelle converts to a single bed - no sense having a giant double bed for a 4+ year old.  It seems much more useful to me.
Just so you know some of the Storkcraft cribs were recalled

More than 2.1 million drop-side cribs by Stork Craft Manufacturing are being recalled, the biggest crib recall in U.S history, following reports of four infant suffocations.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said late Monday the recall involves 1.2 million cribs in the United States and almost 1 million in Canada, where Stork Craft is based. Sales of the cribs being recalled go back to 1993.

Nearly 150,000 of the cribs carry the Fisher-Price logo.

The CPSC said it is aware of four infants who suffocated in the drop-side cribs, which have a side that moves up and down to allow parents to lift children from the cribs more easily. The agency also said there have been 110 incidents of drop-sides detaching from the cribs.

The Stork Craft cribs have had problems with their hardware, which can break, deform or become missing after years. CPSC said there can also be problems with assembly mistakes by the crib owner. These problems can cause the drop-side to detach, creating a dangerous space between the drop-side and the crib mattress, where a child can become trapped.

The commission is urging parents to stop using the cribs until receiving a free repair kit from Stork Craft. The kit will convert the drop-side into a fixed side.

The cribs, which were manufactured and distributed between January 1993 and October 2009, were sold at major retailers including **'s Wholesale Club, Sears and Wal-Mart stores and online through Target and Costco . They sold for between $100 and $400, and were made in Canada, China and Indonesia.

Calls to Stork Craft were not immediately returned.

This is the second big recall this year for the company. It recalled about 500,000 cribs in January because of problems with the metal brackets that support the mattress. Some of the same models in the earlier recall were also part of Monday's announcement, CPSC said.

Consumer advocates have complained for years about drop-side cribs. More than 5 million of them have been recalled over the past two years alone - recalls that were associated with the deaths of a dozen young children.

ASTM International, an organization that sets voluntary industry safety standards for everything from toys to the steel used in commercial buildings, approved a new standard last week that requires four immovable, or fixed, sides for full-size cribs - essentially eliminating the manufacture of drop-side cribs.

CPSC is also considering new rules for making cribs safer and could adopt the ASTM voluntary standard as a mandatory one, outright banning the cribs.

Nancy Cowles, executive director of Chicago-based Kids In Danger, said the agency must include more rigorous testing for crib durability. "Parents should be able to trust that their child is safe in their crib," said Cowles.

Toys"R"Us started phasing out drop-side cribs earlier this year and will no longer carry them next month.

In the Stork Craft recall, the manufacture date, model number, crib name, country of origin, and the firm's name, address and contact information are located on the assembly instruction sheet attached to the mattress support board. The firm's insignia "storkcraft baby" or "storkling" is inscribed on the drop-side teething rail of some cribs.

Consumers can contact the company, 877-274-0277, to order the free repair kit, or log on to  storkcraft. com.
Well, I'm 3 months as of this week and I've decided not to get a crib and to get a bassinet because I'm scared of crib death (this is my first child). And I think that that will be short enough for me... I'm the same height as you
bassinets are great when the baby is small enough to fit in it. I think most have a weight limit of like 15 pounds though and they seem to outgrow them VERY fast. Eventually you will need a crib instead of a bassinet.
all mothers love their  children  and the first thing is  assure for the baby's safety.i am envious of  USA standard. in china it seems nobody  manages  the crib's safety.if  it happens crib death, that is your bad luck, the goverment says
drop side cribs are going hopefully to be illegal in the us by this June. BOth babies r us and toys r us no longer carry them.

Ikea cribs are great for shorter people. I am 5'4" and got a baby relax crib at walmart and it seems like ti will work for me. I would make a wide step stool to help if you need it. Bassinets are great but once a baby could roll over they are not safe and babies that is usually around 3 weeks to 3 months. They do not have to volitarily roll over but do it once or have th strength to do it.

I hope they will affress the issue of shorter mothers as they are getting rid of srop side cribs!

Oh my sister is not even 5' and has an IKEA crib and loves it! She used a stool before that that was homemade and wide and deep so she would nto fall with the baby.