Baby Products Community
Not sure on Natural Birth Or Epidural

The Baby Products community is for discussions around various baby products offering suggestions, help and the best places to buy. This includes strollers, car seats, high chairs, toys, bottles, diapers,etc. Please note, links will be allowed in this community to discuss sales, but spamming and affiliate programs will not be tolerated

Not sure on Natural Birth Or Epidural

For the ones who have had kids already... What's better Natural or Epidural? I'm honestly scared of what the pain will be like. This will be my first. So Idk if going natural is the best thing to do. I hear the pain is outrageous and an epidural will ease the pain drastically. What would you ladies suggest?
I got to 8cm naturally but I had gas and air. BAD IDEA I lost concentration and was in enough pain as it was. I had an epidural it was amazing felt EVERYTHING except the pain! Good job too I had 50 stitches 3 ruptered arteries all because she came out with her hand against her face as she always was on my scans. I would of hated to have had to go through that pain. Honestly I have the biggest phoebia of needles but I went for it & it was the best choice of my life! Hope I was of any help x
Hi msaspire, like the other lady that commented I too had an epidural for both my kids.  At first I was dead set against it but by the time I started having contractions which are like hardcore period cramps I changed my mind.  You can still feel when you need to push, and everything else just no pain.  For me that was great especially since I had really bad back labour.  You'll know what you want to do once your in there.  Good luck!
I went in to delivery with my first child open minded on natural vs epidural.   When I began vomiting from the pain,  I asked for an epidural and was glad to have done it.  With my 2nd child I was asking immediately for an epidural and was vomiting my brains out b/c of the pain.  I did get an epidural and as soon as it kicked in I feel like I was able to - if this makes sense - participate in the process not just be someone who was barfing...  Now I'm 32 weeks with #3 and am going to ask for an epidural again right away.  My husband doesn't like it so much, but - my mother had an epidural when I was born and am just fine.  Both of my kids were delivered with an epidural and are just fine. Sign me up for #3.  

I do feel though it is a very personal choice.  You do what is best for YOU.  Women go through natural labor/delivery thousands of times around the world every day and that is their norm.  I had a friend once say after a naturally delivery that, "our bodies are made for it."  I laughed and thought - maybe yours is but mine isn't!
E
I had my first natural and plan to do the same this time around.  I honestly believe that the more informed you are, the better choice you can make for yourself. I read somewhere that by feeling pain, your body created something to help the baby and I focused on that. That and I didn't want any of the side effects of an epidural. I had a fast labor and delivery so I didn't have contractions for days either. Just inform yourself.
I was induced with my first and had demerol, the ssecond I had a spinal block and csection, because of complications, and the third was all natural, I wasnt really in any pain with him at all and I didn't have to push that long either. I am prego with my 4th and going to go natural. It is totally up to the person, plus you with each baby its different.
I just had my first in july and did it all natural and I had a very positive experience. I would do it again. Honestly, later that day was worse then delivery.
Epidural is my choice
I'm having my first also and am not sure which choice is better.  But I hear that if u do go naturally, you may have less tearing and you can recover quicker. Sometimes women can get right up and walk around after the baby is born (just because our bodies are meant for delivery). Generally, going natural is also faster. But, like I said, I'm also having my first and have no experience.
First off it is totally ur choice and depends on u.. I have 2 kids and just found out I'm pregnant with my 3rd!!!! My oldest was 2wks early which I've been told is normal.. And all I had for him was demerol.. Not by choice tho lol  I was 17 and completly wanted a epidural but my labor went to fast.. from the time my water broke to the time he was born was 7 1/2 hrs.. But for my 2nd child I was induced and I made sure they gave me a epidural there was no way I was going without one again!! And for our newest one I'll b making sure I have a epidural also.. However I'm glad I got to experience a natural labor but hope not to do it again lol
And the only bad thing I've found is I have bad back aches now after my 2nd due to the epidural.. But good luck to u and hopefully u have a fast and easy delivery :)
I heard the same thing as ^^^^^^^^^ it might be alittle more pain but in the end your recovery time is a lot faster. Also once your on epidural your constraint to the bed, but on all natural you can walk around and try different positions. I'm planning to go all natural for my delivery but it is my first. It's all about the mindset.
I had a planned c-section the first time around (my daughter was breech and stuck), so I can't comment on what labor pain feels like, but I would agree with the advice to get informed and have a plan that includes back up plans for how things may go. After that,  I truly believe that you will make whatever choice is best for you.  Women have been doing this forever and I think if you know yourself and  your choices, you will know what feels right to you and that's the only thing that matters. Good luck!  
Natural with my first and absolutely wouldn't have it any other way with second (due in 7 weeks)!! My good friend, 5 of my sisters-in-law, and my cousin all had all their babies without the epidural and were fine. It isn't horrific pain. We just look at it all wrong.

Good idea to do research on your own. Also, I would very highly recommend the movie "the business of being born." I found it very comforting and informative.
I have 2 kids one my first I use the epidural I it nnot feel no pain on my 2 child I want natural it was the great exprience i ever had
Love epidurals! I enjoyed my whole labor and delivery because of this! I'm on my 5th pregnancy and I remember saying I wanted to go all natural for my 1st until I experienced some real pain! I made it to an 8 the first time! The next few times I got smart and asked when I began feeling any pain! Just remember you are not super woman and have nothing to prove, if you go natural, good for you, that's great! But if you feel miserable and aren't enjoying the wonderful experience of labor and delivery, get yourself comfortable with an epidural!
I was going to try natural, but my contractions started at 1am on Sunday and I delivered at 3am on Monday... I also had HORRIBLE back pain and I have a high pain tolerance... I used some pain medication for a while during labor, but eventually I went for an epidural. Labor is hard enough I would try to go natural for a while and then go for an epidural. Im with my second child and I'll do it that way again. Best advice is to go with how your feeling and don't fight with the doctors. They know what they're doing.
I've done both and it is much better going natural.  It is much easier to push and focus without it and I felt so much better afterwards with my natural birth.  I'm due in December and will be doing a natural birth again, wouldn't have it any other way.
I have had 2 boys both natural both were painful yes but we were made for it and the min they put the baby on you, you don't feel anything but joy. A lot of the stories you read were ones with complications and if there is any you get the option but I would suggest not to if all is well its not good for you or the baby. My friend had damage done to her from one. Also my second boy was not easy I had ripped a lot they said it was like a puzzel over an hour of stitches so it wasn't easy but well worth it and I'm doing natural again. My second one was harder but I perpared myself, be positive and remember it is for a wonderful reason. I believe in God and prayed and sang in my head and he helped me through.   God bless you
I gave birth to my first 3 children naturally. It was painful but not as bad as people put it out to be. Well when I was in labour with my 4th baby, I didn't want to feel any pain since I had already done it 3 times already. I also had everybody telling me how great the epideral was. I went ahead and got it. It was the worst mistake I ever made. It slowed down my labor, I still felt everything and after I had my baby I couldn't walk. I was able to get up immediately after having my first 3. It also made me very tired after birth and my son. I had to wake him up to eat because all he did was sleep. That's not good for a newborn. My son is now 3 and I still have pain in my back from where the needle went in. It hurst especially in the winter. I have known a lot of ladies complain about back pain after their epideral. I have heard it can also cause you to slip a disk easily to.The epideral doesn't work for everyone. I'm pregnant with my 5 th and my husband and I have both agreed on natural. Demerol or stadol are fine for me.
Doctors often don't give full information about epidurals.... please check out some of the articles on midwiferytoday.com. The writers are knowledgeable and professional. They aren't too long and give lots of info.
I'm also pregnant with my first and undecided to take epidiral or not...but it all depends on how ur labor goes that day ....some women prepare themselves for a natural birth and end up with a c-section ....others say they were not gonna take the epidural and they end up getting it cuz of long labors..
It all depends on what you go through...we are all different...just take classes and excersise..read a lot too..
About everything..
Complications..birth stories..etc ..to be prepared!

I've had two kids, one all natural 9#2oz baby and one 7# 15oz with an epidural. The more relaxed and less stress you are the better off you and baby will both be! The epidural has no effect on baby n is pretty painless (like getting an i.v. -just takes a little longer n is in your back) but really helps you enjoy babies birth process. My Dr said it best some women think it's wise to say "yes I'd like that root canal all natural please" also. Are they crazy! Doesn't make it better for my patients (mom or baby) n I sure wouldn't do it with my own! I'm on number three and will be getting an epidural.
I am very open-minded about both.  I had a natural birth with my first because of my fear of side effects.  The nice thing about natural is you don't usually end up pushing for long because you feel every contraction, but you FEEL everything lol. The nice thing about the epidural is you don't feel the pain.  My sister in law spent the day she was in labor chatting with friends and family but she ended up pushing for two hours. So both have positives and negatives.  This time I plan on going natural again but if the pain is too much I will ask for the epidural.
Natural.....all the way
.....i did it twice!
i went natural with my 1st 10 days late & in slow labour from tues morn he arrived fri dinner time. However never felt any pain until early hrs fri when i discover i was 6-7cm. i started in birthing pool but never felt no releif more just a slight distraction. i only had gas & air but after 9hrs & not getting past 9cm  i had 2.5ml of diamorphine (i felt this slowed everything down & never helped pain just made me sleepy) I ended up being cut & having a vontuse. Yes i wont lie it was all very painful but i was able to walk 2hrs later (as i stopped contracting so took an extra hr to deliver placenta) Personally unless baby was in danger i would not consider the epi but everyone is different. I felt more proud of myself goin natural & trust me once you have your baby in your arms all the pain becomes a distant memory. xx