Aa
A
A
Close
Older Car Seats
We have two car seats we bought new when my first was born. Neither have ever been in an accident, but they are 6 years old now. There apparently has not been a recall, not that we can find. Do you think they will be fine for new baby? I want to know if anyone has any knowledge of the laws involved.

Thanks!
Cancel
7 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Most carseats are good for 5 yrs.  Its not a matter of laws necessarily but of safety.  The material inside that protects baby in case of an accident degrades over time.  This means after 5 yrs it is no longer as effective in an accident.  The same is true for motorcycle helmets.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Makes sense. Thanks.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Actually my car seats are labelled with a "do not use after" date of 2017. Looks like I can save a little money.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
4476664 tn?1361636549
i too got a used carseat....as long as it in within date then your good : )
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
That's great that they are still good!  They are so expensive its great when you can reuse them.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Look for exp dates to determine if ur going to reuse ur old car seats. I wouldn't recommend buy an old one cause we don't know the history .
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Look for exp dates to determine if ur going to reuse ur old car seats. I wouldn't recommend buy an old one cause we don't know the history .
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Baby Products Community Resources