coil crib mattress or foam?
I have no idea which is better, of if one is even better than the other. Any thoughts?

5
1. coil

2
2. foam

0
3. either
I have heard foam mattresses are too soft and they should never be used b/c of suffocation, they say with babies the firmer the better!
I agree with Kiki. That's what I heard and read.  Best to ask your OB for an opinion. They would know.
i got a regular hard mattress as advised. my baby would never sleep on it. the poor thing could not get comfortable on such a cold, hard surface. i ended up buying a softer, thin foam mattress from ikea and putting it on top of the hard mattress. the difference was night and day. she slept so well after that.
i do have to say that my little one was 8 months when i did this. She was in her bassinet until 6 months (a soft mattress) and her pack n play in our room until 8 months (another softer mattress). this is probably part of the reason why she couldn't stand the crib mattress. i'm not sure what i'll do when the next one is born- if i'll keep the foam one in or not. chances are, the baby will be in my room again until s/he is older, so i'll probably be comfortable with the softer mattress. but, like i said, the bassinet and pack n play are softer, but are still considered safe.
my baby consumer report book says the foam is better for the heads, it just says to make sure its got a saftey sticker on it. it said a hard foam is just as good as a spring mattress. i was just wondering what babies like better!  i guess you cant really know that until they sleep in it.
iv got a foam one in my crib and i good sprung one in my cotbed as bub wont be in the crib for long
I did a lot of research on consumer reports - I ended up going with a foam mattress.  

Consumer Reports had a lot to say about both foam and coil mattresses, so I was very excited when found a foam mattress that was 2 sided and was very light.  The mattress I got is less than 4 pounds, which will be great for middle of the night sheet changes.  A friend of mine got a coil mattress and it is between 10 and 15 lbs.  

You can check it out at walmart . com   search for item # 10391803