Baby Products Community
coil crib mattress or foam?

The Baby Products community is for discussions around various baby products offering suggestions, help and the best places to buy. This includes strollers, car seats, high chairs, toys, bottles, diapers,etc. Please note, links will be allowed in this community to discuss sales, but spamming and affiliate programs will not be tolerated

coil crib mattress or foam?

I have no idea which is better, of if one is even better than the other. Any thoughts?
71%
 (5) 
coil
28%
 (2) 
foam
0%
 (0) 
either
7 Members voted
I have heard foam mattresses are too soft and they should never be used b/c of suffocation, they say with babies the firmer the better!
I agree with Kiki. That's what I heard and read.  Best to ask your OB for an opinion. They would know.
i got a regular hard mattress as advised. my baby would never sleep on it. the poor thing could not get comfortable on such a cold, hard surface. i ended up buying a softer, thin foam mattress from ikea and putting it on top of the hard mattress. the difference was night and day. she slept so well after that.
i do have to say that my little one was 8 months when i did this. She was in her bassinet until 6 months (a soft mattress) and her pack n play in our room until 8 months (another softer mattress). this is probably part of the reason why she couldn't stand the crib mattress. i'm not sure what i'll do when the next one is born- if i'll keep the foam one in or not. chances are, the baby will be in my room again until s/he is older, so i'll probably be comfortable with the softer mattress. but, like i said, the bassinet and pack n play are softer, but are still considered safe.
my baby consumer report book says the foam is better for the heads, it just says to make sure its got a saftey sticker on it. it said a hard foam is just as good as a spring mattress. i was just wondering what babies like better!  i guess you cant really know that until they sleep in it.
iv got a foam one in my crib and i good sprung one in my cotbed as bub wont be in the crib for long
I did a lot of research on consumer reports - I ended up going with a foam mattress.  

Consumer Reports had a lot to say about both foam and coil mattresses, so I was very excited when found a foam mattress that was 2 sided and was very light.  The mattress I got is less than 4 pounds, which will be great for middle of the night sheet changes.  A friend of mine got a coil mattress and it is between 10 and 15 lbs.  

You can check it out at walmart . com   search for item # 10391803