Baby Products Community
diapers

The Baby Products community is for discussions around various baby products offering suggestions, help and the best places to buy. This includes strollers, car seats, high chairs, toys, bottles, diapers,etc. Please note, links will be allowed in this community to discuss sales, but spamming and affiliate programs will not be tolerated

diapers

I am 10 weeks along and starting to think about all the things we'll need, especially diapers. My hubby said he wants to start stocking up on disposable diapers now but I really want to do cloth. They are more economical and safer for environment.my SIL used them and swears by them. My hubby is against it saying he doesn't want his clothes being washed in same machine as poopy diapers.

Anyone else having this dilemma yet? Any tips on how to convince the hubby?
What about a diaper service?
You can and should wash them seperately. You shouldn't use fabric con on nappies as they ruin their absorbancy. Have a look at websites and reviews. There are loads of dofferent type that would suit different people in their situation. Like whether to use a three part system or an all in one or which material the nappiies are made of qnd how they are attached. You'd need to do a wash every 2-3 days. If he is still poo phobic you can use flushable liners which collect most of the poo so you are not putting that in the washing.

Ask your sister what she used and there are tutorials of youtube with loads of info about care and use of them. Definately worth thinking about as it will save you a fortune and if you have more then one chiild then you can reuse them as long as you take care of them
The water and power required to wash them really doesn't do much for their environmental benefits... obviously this is a choice every mother gets to make without being wrong, but it's something to think about. It might help keep your hubby enthusiastic about changing for you!
That sounds exactly like my husbands reaction.  We decided that we'd start with disposable & then try cloth later. We've stayed with disposable.  We haven't had any leaks when wearing the propper size & luckily minimal rashes. We may use cloth when potty training, but disposable has been a lot more convenient. I just wish our region offered diaper recycling.
Yes reuseable nappies have to be washed and that does have an environmental impact. But compared to disposables which cannot be recycled and take hundreds of years to decompose. The average baby goes through 5000 nappies which will end up on a rubbish tip. There is no contest.

Then there is the financial benefits which are huge. There is less chance of nappy rash due to the chemicals in disposables. Also the children are easier to potty train later
Appreciate the feedback!  I would love a diaper service but don't think we could afford it.

I didn't realize all the different kinds of cloth type diapers there were out there. I definitely have some research to do. The only ones I've seen are the washable inserts with colorful changeable outsides. My SIL will definitely be my ally in this. I know it will save us money so I'm hoping looking at different types will help.

Yes, more laundry means more water but i believe it still doesn't compare to filing landfills with diapers.

Thanks again for the input and we'll see what happens!
They can be made out of different material. Cotton, microfibre, bamboo or a blend of them. Each have pros and cons but largely the same price. And then you can buy some that are one size, which will save you money but will be bulkier on a younger baby. Then there are three part nappies which involve less washing and less likely to leak as supposed to an all in one nappy. They are most convienient and most simlier to a disposable.

Also have a look at using flushable liners. You can pick up and flush the poo away. Good if you're a bit poo phobic
my great grandma used cloth diapers on all her kids , my grandma used them , my mom used them and I plan to use them . its cheaper that way if your planning on staying home with your baby . your not gonna put them on baby when you go out ofcourse. it also helps the baby not get diaper rash becuase you have to change the baby once the baby pees or poops . other than disposable where theres a bigger chance of diaper rash . and about your husband .., my great grandma was smart about it . she would buy a bunch of diaper clothes .everyday night is when she would wash them . but she would get a bucket and soak them so everytime baby would pee or poop she would wash it off then throw it in a bucket with water and some clorox . and she would let it build up all day and wash it at night . I plan to do the same :) .
You don't need to soak nowadays. Dry pailing is more reccomended
My cousin does the cloth diapers.
She has a washer thing for the diapers that goes on the toilet. Maybe just Google about ways to clean cloth diapers and washers for them.  I'm sure u will find something. I think the washer on the toilet just helps clean them good before putting them in the real washer and dryer.
GOOD LUCK!