Baby Products Community
safety 1st "air" car seat

The Baby Products community is for discussions around various baby products offering suggestions, help and the best places to buy. This includes strollers, car seats, high chairs, toys, bottles, diapers,etc. Please note, links will be allowed in this community to discuss sales, but spamming and affiliate programs will not be tolerated

safety 1st "air" car seat

is anyone using a safety 1st "air" car seat? its got huge air bubbles that protect the baby's head...
i am considering this for my child, however im not really sure if its a good brand. I am interested in the convertible model (5-40+ pds) that way i dont have to buy a bunch of car seats.

any suggestions/tips.pointers/advise?
I was wondering about this car seat too. I'm just about to buy a convertable car seat for my 6 month old cuz he is getting heeeeeavy in the carrier ones. So if anybody else posts one here if they have any good car seat recommendations. Logigirl, how old is you baby?
I have not heard to much about this car seat, NOte all car seats on the market meet Federal guiedlines but are clearly not made equal.

THis car seat seems to be OK, the air system has gotten good interst since it came out. The reviews on this were that it does nto fit rear facing in a car, is very large and bulkky but many love it for front facing. Note in the video of it you will see the front seat not in the car when it was rear facing. I could dnot tell if the totally removed it or just laid the seat forward. ALso one review said it would not fit in the Honda Odesy van as they had two seats for twins and the one behind the driver would just not fit.

It is shallow more then most car seats as far as side coverage. ONly on the middle area though and if baby was very small it might not cover as well as some would like. I looks good that it would accomodate a child in the range of weight it is listed for. As some are narrow and would not be sufficent for this. I suggest that if you are really wanting this one though you put it in the vehicle backwards and forwards before you buy it, Babies R Us where I used to live used to let you do this as well as some Walmarts and Targets. You can alsp look on the reviews on those sites (note to look under all color options!) to see if someone put a restriction as far as fit in a vehicle. It is tall so it might not fit in many rear facing

I think the idea of a ONE car seat is great! I ahve had 4 kids and wanted to do that this last time but did not get one in time and just got the infant and now ordered the convertable.

The top of the line in infants are

Chicco Key Fit which is $155 at walmart
Graco Snugride 35 is $151 at walmart
Baby Trend is around $89 at walmart This is what I have and I love it! The price has gone down as new models come in

I have seen that the Evenflo Discovery says high ratings but it is NOT and got bad reviews on consumer reports.

The top for convertables are

First Years true Fit which is around $179 at Walmart ( the newer premiere came out and has the highest ratings this past year and got 5 stars on the national transpertaion ease of use, it is $215 at walmart, just went down actually) The head rest removes for rear facing so it fits easier in smaller cars. Rated #1 in consumer reports

Britax marathon 70  which is $279 at Target and is not available at walmart, this got #2 on consumer reports

Recaro Proride is $279 at Target this is a new patent pending steal rods through the car seat and covers all points on baby for impact.

The Evenflo Titan got good reviews on web sites but was on the lower end on consumer reports.

ALl Coso car seats have been recalled so many times I would NOT reccomend one ever!

So fit is a bog thing! I had a Evenflo Triumph given to me and it would not fit with the latch nor buckle in my Grand Prix rear facing. It had way to mauch play and would not go tight. This is an issue with many latch systems, they are the best to use but you have to make sure they are in according to manufacture requirments. SO read the manual and make sure it is fitting according to that.

I hope this helps you and let us know what you choose and how you like it, I would also like to knwo what type of vehicle you have! I wish they would post what vehicles they do not fit in on the sites!:) In the perfect world ehh

I agree about listing vehicles that the car seats don't fit in on websites. I've been looking into the Britax car seats, but I don't which one cuz there are sooo many different ones. As for a infant car seat/carrier I got the Graco Snug Ride 20, I thought about getting the 35 but I am sooo glad I didn't because Xander is 17 pounds now and the car seat weighs 9 pounds so it's getting to be a pain in the butt! And the Sung Ride 35 weighs I think 10 or 11 pounds on its own. I know that was a big factor for what I was going to buy.
I have the Baby Trend and it is the heaviest infant seat on the market! It is very thick plastic and sturdy though. I LOVE it! I used to stick to Century for my other kids but that brand is no longer on the market:( Was the best back then. I have researched car seat since I had my reversal back in 2009 and things are so different now as far as brands and things they offer! I have seen that not all high priced work well and are easy to use.

As far as getting a convertable also remember that Saftey laws now ask you to use the rear facing as long as you baby meets weight requirmentsfor your car seat even beyond 1 year of age. SOme go up to 40 lbs rear facing but most up to 30-35lbs. This is for a convertable car seat. Car seats also are NOT to be used after the manufature date of 6 years past when it was stamped, so you have to take that into factor as far as looking for a converatble thinking you can use it for longer if yo have a smaller child. My girls were in car seats till 1-2 grade for their height and weight. Lots may not understand why they can not be used for that long but the plastics used for car seats have not been tested for any longer for the wear and pressure they get on them. So even though the car seat says up to 65lbs it is best not to use them past the 6 year mark.

NOte also that the "TOP RATED" on retail sites are the top rated by customers not the NTSA or crash test ratings. Any parents review you want to look for is when they used it longer then just a few weeks, have changed the straps, cleaned it, moved it around, been using it for a wide age range (young babies to wiggly toddler) and ones that have used other brands and types before to compare too. DO not listen to the reviews on how good it looks and how it matches their interior, etc.., that of course is not why we buy them! OF course good that manufactures make different covers once we havce choosen;)

I have picked the First Years True Fit and have not gotten it in yet, lots of car seats can be bought onloine as apposed to at the store, Babies R Us has more to choose from but you get better buys from Wlamart.com then anywhere!
I found a website in the Baby Bargains book that has information on which car seats fit in which cars, it's called carseatdata.com or org I can't remember offhand. I guess you can enter either a car seat or a vehicle and it will give all sorts of feedback about the fit and stuff. I haven't had the chance to try it myself yet. Hope that helps a little.
did you get the convertible or the infant carrier? i am thinkning about both, as its going to be difficult to transfer a sleeping baby in/out the car if you have to physically take it out every time you stop.
Get the carrier! It makes life sooooo much easier. My son is 7 months old and even though he can sit up on his own and everything he still falls asleep in the car sometime and I would really hate to wake him to go into a store while were out. Lol