used or new
Whats everyones take on a used or expired carseat? Ive always bought brand new but some people buy used or expired carseats. I just dont feel safe using a used or expired carseat.
I wouldn't sure an expired car seat. It just sounds wrong? Lol and if I was buying a used one id definitely make sure its not expired/expiring soon!!
What does expired mean?? Never knew they have date on them.... With my second child i used everything from the first....with this one i have to buy new as we got rid of everything....
There's a certain year they expire I think 5 years?? But I could be totally wrong lol
If a carseat is in a wreck it weakens the straps and if you were to buy a used one then you would never know if it were safe or not. This is why consignment shops arnt supposed to sell them unless they are new. As for reusing a carseat its really up to you but after it has set for a while the straps would most likley do the same thing which is why their is an expariation date
No expiry date on my new carseat.....hmm ...maybe in different countries it varies.
Typically after 3 or so years its recommended not to reuse.  ie expariation
r
In Australia it's recommended that you not use a baby car seat if its older the 10 years old or has been in an accident. Also if a car seat has been dropped, run over, left out in the weather etc it can also lower or be detrimental to safety components of the seat. So it is also recommended to not use in any of these situations!
I think most car seats have 6 or 7 years on them.  Now that is from when the seat was manufacturer.  I'm going to need to check the date on my one for sure.  Does anyone know what to do with expired car seats?
When I got mine installed at the ambulance station they said once I'm done with my carseat I need to make it unusable so that someone else is'nt tempted to use it. Meaning I need to cut up the inside and break the actual carseat up.
I have a car seat that expires in 2015 and I will get to use it for my third child due in July so we got really lucky. Our oldest child is 3 yrs old so im guessing they stay good for 5 years. I would not use an expired car seat and I would only take a used car seat from close friends and family
I know at babies r us you can trade tour old car seat to get a discount on a new one I think? Not sure exactly how it works but I do know you can bring the old one in!
My husband is a carseat technician. After an accident, car seats are not to be used. They expire after 6 years. The reason for both of those is due to manufacture. It's illegal for places to sell them after the exp date or an accident.
Personally I go for new ones only cuz if u get a used one u have no clue if the person b4 u had a car accident n if that seat was relyable for their child. I'm reusing the one from my son though cuz its not expired n in great condition.
I bought a new one as this is mu first bub. I had alot of friends offer me their old ones and people talk to me about hiring them but decided i would like a brand new one as i can't see their pre owned car seats beige as clean as a new one. Also as an added bonus i bought one that clips onto my pram so i don't have to wake bub up when taking them in and out of the car :)
I will only used safety first car seats as they are proven to save lives. New or used really doesn't matter.
Although I would never use a USED car seat myself if I would decide to, I would want to get it from someone I know on a personal level - no strangers.  I do agree that after so many years of use parts will be weakened.  Good luck.