Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
22 and having 3 level dics fusion.

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

22 and having 3 level dics fusion.

Hello, my name is Pamela, I'm a 22 year old female, who is having a 3 level dics fusion on c4-c6, and poss c3. I've been dealing with the pain for about a year now. Ive tried physical therpy, tense units, traction, steriods,and pain medication. Im not loosing feeling in my hands, arms, legs, between the soulderblades, with constant pain. I have no energy to do anything. My neuroseugeon and spine doctor feel like this is the last option I have left. I also suffer from spinal stenosis, and spondylosis. My doctors told me my MRI and mylogram doesn't look normal for someone who is my age, but someone who is in their 60. I have severe DDD. I was just blessed with bad luck when I was born. This is not a accident related issue. If anyone has had this done and has some advice for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.
Pamela
The alternative to a multi-level fusion in the cervical spine is to have artificial disc replacement. This reduces stress at adjacent disc levels and of course allows you to retain mobility at the effected levels. You are welcome to read up on this at my web site:  www.DrPremPillay.com and at www.spine-health.com
Hi.  My name is Virginia and I know what you are going through.  I too was diagnosed with pretty much the same thing that you are having to deal with.  I was in pain for a long time before anyone could diagnose my problem including my neurologist.  I spent about two years going from place to place trying to find out why I had trouble lifting my left arm and always having a numb feeling in it.  I was 42 years old the day that I saw a Neurosurgeon.  He put my MRI image up to the light and within two seconds said that I have spinal stenosis and that I needed to have two fusions.  C4-5 and C5-6.  I wanted to jump up and kiss him.  Someone was actually telling me that there was something wrong with me and I wasn't going crazy.  On the other hand I was scared to death when he told me that I needed to have surgery.  I told him that I needed time to think about it.  He said O.K. think about it but during that time the pain would only get worse and I would be back.  Needless to say He was right.  I was back after the 5 months it took me to get an appointment.  So I had the surgery and it decreased my pain by about 50 percent and I had the use of my left arm again.  When I spoke to a physiotherapist about 10 years ago.  I was concerned because I was again having pain.  Since that time I have had another MRI and it looks like I too will need to have C3-4 operated on.    I do feel for you because it's a scary place to be in.  But - there is light at the end of the tunnel -  you will feel better after you have it done.

I hope this helps.  write back if you have any questions.

Virginia
I had a C5-6 done lats June, and recovered well from that surgery. Unfortunately I have more problems at C3-4, and severe stenosis at and DDD at all levels except C1. I have nerve impingment at C3-4. When it gets to the point I can't take the pain any more, I will have the surgery. But I am 60yrs old. I am so sorry that you have this at such a young age. But recoverery, pain releif have made great strides for this type of surgery. I think relief of pain is the most important thing we can have.  Good luck, and gentle (((hugs)))))
Thanks for taking the time and reading my post. I had my surgery on May 15, and so far Im doing well. As soon as I woke up I did have relief from my neck pain. Now just dealing with the healing prrocess. I ended up having a two level fusion with a plate, screws, also some bone spurs removed with, and he cleaned up around some nerves. My recovery time is about 4-6weeks. . I wish you the best of luck with your future surgery!!
Is nice to know that someone out there knows what Ive been going through. I had surgery on May 15, it's been 5 days and Im already feeling alot better. I already have relief from the severe pain I used to be in. The surgery went great my doc said. He got all 3 spinal cord compression, bone spurs, 2 level fusion with plate and screws. He also said he cleaned up the other dics that were buldging. So i'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and looking forward to reaching the end!!!! Thanks so much for the comment!!