Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
A lot of problems, don't know what to do

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

I was in a car crash about 8 years ago and I suffered a whiplash injury.  A couple of months later the problems started.  Within the next year or two I suffered from depression, mid back pain and I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and two years later it changed to hypothyroidism.  

Currently, I have a lot of problems including neck pain, constant dizziness, trouble speaking, difficulty swallowing, difficulty breathing, light headed upon standing, occasional pins & needle sensation in my hand and feet and muscle switching all over my body.  These symptoms have intensified during the past two weeks.

I have been to the emergency room three times in the past two months and all of the test done (ct scan, neck and throat x-ray, blood test) have all come back negative, the doctors told me that I am suffering from anxiety/panic attacks.  I have suffered panic attacks before, so I know these are not regular panic attacks.  I also suffer from chronic fatigue, general weakness and brain fog and racing mind.  I told my doctor to refer me to a neurologist and I have an appointment with my doctor this coming Wednesday.  
If anyone has suggestion as to what this may be or what I should  tell my doctor please reply.

You should see a neurosurgeon and get an MRI done of your cervical spine.
My opinion is :All of your symptoms are due to whiplash injury,your mind should be focus on neck injury,perhaps it's neck soft tissue injury as MRI showed nothing.
Thanks for the reply,

I agree that a lot of my symptoms are due to my neck.  That is why I repeatedly asked my doctor to send me to a neurologist or spine doctor which he had refused to do until now.
Also I have not gotten an MRI of my neck done, only an x-ray.

Thanks doctor for the reply.  
I've done about 5 neck x-rays in the past 7 years and they've all come back normal. The doctor says that my neck is in good shape but it sure doesn't feel that way.  Will an MRI show something that can't be detected with an x-ray?  Also, i have an appointment with a neurologist coming up in the next month.  Can he do an MRI of my cervical spine?
Thanks again.
Hi, Have had back and neck problems for years. At age 17 was in a wreck where a pickup truck flipped and landed on me, then another where car was hit from the side, then 2 more " fender-benders ".and later age 43, L4 hernerniated disk.  & resulting surgery.  I have had chiropractic treatments over the years and more recently massage. Have been diagnosed with fibro.which i believe is a result of all the trauma to my back. I also use massage because my neck and shoulders get, as the last massause stated " like concrete " and have burning /stinging pain in shoulder blades, spine and sore shoulders and arms.  She said the muscles were full of scar tissue due to the trauma. Both the chiropractic and massage give some releif to the Neck until I do something to  ( never sure what ) make it tense up again. I think lifting, twisting etc. probably cause some of it.
You should be able to turn your head much easier once you have treatment.
Think it would pay for you to look into either of these types of treatment. The massage may be a little less traumatic but if your neck has been in this condition for some time, you can expect to have a few days after treatment that are uncomfortable. Those muscles / ligaments ( whatever the condition ) have been in certin positions for a long time and do not like to be distrubed and made to adapt to change so they are in rebellion when first treated ( forced into new positions ).
Also have lower back, hip, leg and foot pain but can't let  Chiro work on the lower back due to the surgery tho some will suggest it..
Just choose someone who is well experienced and if possible find someone who has used that person and had good results. or ask  Dr.  for patients you can talk to.

Hope you find some help
A related discussion, degenerative athritis and disk desease was started.