Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Back Pain, Arm Tingles, Shoulder pain, Nausea, Frequent BM's, Gas

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

I have been having back pain  (high back pain is acute, low back pain seems to be chronic) with GI signs for 2-3 months now. Duruing these "spells" I feel nauseous, have pain in my back, and a burning our tingling sensation in my arm and hand. I was worried about heart related problems, so I went to my Doctor.  I was told I had a slipped disc high in my back, but my labwork came back normal. Prilosec seemed to prevent or minimize the GI symptoms, but the pain came and went. I've also noticed a generalized stiffness to my back. Going for a long walk seems to help.  Is there a link between back pain and GI signs? I'm making an appointment with a chiropractor who comes highly reccomended, but I'm looking for some more insight on this.
Plain X-rays will not show a slipped disc or the nerves in the spine.
If your symptoms are troubling and persistent you should get an MRI done.
You should note that MRI technology does not use radiation while X-rays expose you to radiation risks and should be minimized.
Have you had an MRI?  How do they decide you have a slipped disc?

I suggest that you ask your Primary Care Physician  for an MRI so that you find out what is going on and get treated accordingly. You may need to see a Neuro Surgeon.

Low Back Pain could mean herniated disc or worse. I would see a real doctor before I would go to a chiropracter. Get the MRI and then if everything looks ok (nothing to serious) the chiropracter might be good.

Good Luck,

Julie

I do want to get an MRI, Primary care doctor said it was a slipped disk but there is very little "proof" of that. I imagine I will start with xrays tomorrow and an  EMG Subluxation machine to see nerve disturbance. I'll be sure to let you know how it went. Thanks for the interest.
I have chronic neck and shoulder pain, tingling of the arms and fingers, sever headaches, and dizzy spells, my physicians says my lab work is normal, but was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Is it possible that I may have a condition that haven't been detected? Sometimes I feel like I'm having a stroke, because when the headache start, it feels like a bubble bursting in my head.
Have you had an MRI? Your primary care provider should be able to either refer you to a NS or order and MRI and then refer you. The headaches should be alarming to the MD.

Your symptoms could have to do with your spine. I did have a small herniation in my cervical spine several years ago and went through 6 months of the worst headaches ever imagined. I went from one doctor to another and finally a NS ordered some oral steroids and in 3-4 days I was like 100% better. My MRI only showed a very small herniation and I was told by everyone that it wasn't big enough to cause me any problems. I cried my self to sleep every night and really could never find any relief until the magical steroids.

Incidently I believe I recieved that damage from a chiropracter who I was seeing at the time for low back pain. I have never let a chiro near my neck again.

Good Luck,

Julie

Your gallbladder can cause all of the symptoms you are discribing, including pain in the back and shoulder blade area.

Good luck,

linda
I would agree that you need to see a neurospine specialist and get an MRI of your thoracic and lumbar spine.
Depending on the severity of the problem a variety of treatments could be useful: aquatherapy, pain blocks, microdisectomy, percutaneous discoplasty etc.

Dr Prem Pillay FACS
Director of Neuro and Spine Services
Neuro Spine and Pain Center
Singapore
www.spine-neuro.org
http//neurospine.blogspot.com
A related discussion, Problems with tremor was started.