Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Exercises after cervical fusion

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

Exercises after cervical fusion

I had cervical fusion in January 2006 - C3-C7. Overall I am doing very well. I never had any pain to begin with; I had weakness in my left arm and a little numbness in my left foot - it took 4 doctor's opinions to convince me to do the surgery. Only 1 doctor recommended the quad fusion - which is the doctor I went with. After surgery I did a lot of walking and swimming once I no longer was required to wear a collar - joined a fitness center. I went back to work and my interest in fitness diminished. I went back to some bad work habits and slouched in my chair in front of a terminal - not good. I finally retired - I am 62 and I am back at the fitness center. My concern is what type of exercises should I stay away from - my doctor said I must stay away from anything that would stress my neck(not much help). I am doing some strength training, treadmill, and swimming. I found 1 piece of equipment I really like - the BOSU - soft half dome. It is supposed to improve balance. I do things like crunches, push-ups, and squats on the dome. Are there exercises I should stay away from and are there exercises that are recommended to be done.

Jim Janas
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You have undergone a pretty large operation. A 4-level ACDF (cervical fusion) is often an avoided surger because of many associated risks - mostly long term. Good for you if you are doing well.

You should get very clear and specific information from whoever did your operation on what exactly you can and cannot do at the gym. You should discuss what exercises and motions you want to do and get the OK for these from your doctor. Please do this before you start any exercises. It is probably not a good idea to get recommendations from this forum as your cases is not typical and your MD might have specific things he does not want you to do based on his experience.
Well i started at the gym last fall and i think the personal trainer didnt help my neck out any. I was working out on the machines in repitition building up on weights. I felt the start of neck aches when i was there and wonder how much damage i did to myself their that led to where i am now.

I would suggest visiting your MD and getting either Physiotherapy to approve what machines or excercises are safe for you and your condition. I know i will be doing the same and sticking to it if i ever make it back to the gym.