Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Help

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

Help
My primary physician told me to see a pain management doc. because I have been having chronic back and neck pain for a couple years now. I had surgery on my lower back twice L-4 and L-5. The most recent is my neck, I had an MRI  2 years ago and the ortho doc. told me I had a severe herniated disk and did not want to do surgery, a year later I had another MRI and he told me it was better and I just had a slight bulging disk. This is a year later and I have some pain in my neck but my real concern is the numbness in my right hand, its alway there and every morning I wake up with my whole arm and hand numb, and sometimes in my left arm also.
My question is, do you think I should see a pain doc or a neurologist?
I also want to mention that I just completed physical therapy and that helped loosen my neck a little but the numbness is still there. I seems to be getting worse, everytime I lift  my arm up or lay on my side it bothers me.
I don't want to go back to the ortho doc. What do you think I should do?
I would seek advise from a multidisciplinary team. A person like you would be seen in my practise by a neurosurgeon and a pain specialist working together.
Perhaps you still need see neuro-surgeon as you still have nerves trouble.
But I also suggest you to try acupuncture which is good at relive nerves sensation in the neck.
Good luck!
Pain managment is another alternative, but I think you should get more options from a NS or two and a new MRI if possible.

Did you have discectomy on your L4L5 twice?

Feel Better & Good Luck,

Julie
I had a similar situation, I put off seeing a pain managment specialist for a while. However when I finally did they performed an EMG which I was told can tell if my problem was neurological. The test was a bit painful, but very helpful. I did not have to go on any meds for my symptoms, and I was told that I did not have a neurological problem. Going to pain management may also give you more options for pain relief. Have you tried E-stem? Hope you feel better.