Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Left Lower back pain and chills

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

Left Lower back pain and chills

Hi. About 6 weeks ago I went to bed and woke up with a sharp pain on the left side of my lower back, almost on top of the buttock. I had been under a lot of stress because of school, work, and other issues. I waited a couple of weeks and went to the doctor. He ordered a couple of MRIs. The Lumbar came with a minimal deterioration of the L5-S1 but the doctor said that it could not explain all the pain I was feeling when laying on that side or when stretching to the other side (ot reflects on the left side). The cervical showed stenosis on the c5-c6 and the c4-c5. I am undergoing therapy and have tried chiropractor but the pain still there when I do not take my anti-inflammatory pills. I also have had cough and nasal congestion with a lot of pleghm. I had a lung x-ray and came back negative. Had blood work and came back ok except my cholesterol was rather high. I also had hiv oraquick one and it was negative. Could it be another organ having problems. My urine test was normal. No infections, no bacterias. Please help...I have gotten chills in my arms twice in the last couple of weeks while sleeping. I am taking azythromicin for my sinuses and skelaxin for my inflammation. Has anyone ever had these symptoms?. What else could I do?
We can't be specific without examining you and looking through your tests in detail.
In general though muscle strain and tension from poor posture and stress can cause pain without much in the way of neurological or MRI findings. This could account for your low back pain. Gentle activity and getting some physical therapy could help.
I cannot understand your chills. I would recommend that you see a good internist to look at you to make sure there is no hidden infection. Sinusitis and a URTI needs to be looked at as well.
I sleep on one side or the other. I have had lower back pain for years, which moved down to the left buttock. I have tried hard/soft/medium matresses without any change. One day my wife said I should sleep with a pillow between my legs. That was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard, but for some reason I tried it. After a week of wondering why I was doing it, I realised that the pain was no longer worrying me. Hard to believe, but try it. Would be interesting to know if it helps anyone else