Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Lump on Lower left side of back

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

Lump on Lower left side of back

I have had a lump the size of an orange on my left lower back above my backside.  It causes a lot of back pain which also radients down my leg.  It has been there for about 3 months.  I haven't seen a doctor and just told my husband and mom about it and asked them what they thought.  They are upset because they can visually see the lump on my back.  I am thinking that it is a muscle that needs to be kinked out, but they seem to think that it is more serious than that.  Has anyone had this problem before?  I don't want to go to the doctors if it is just a kink or a fatty tissue or something.  I hate going to the doctors for this, but if it is something that might need to be looked at than I guess I should go.  Any thoughts?  Anyone have this or heard of this?  Could it be a tumor?
You should see your family doc for an assessment.
If he feels you need a scan, get it done.
If he feels you should have it removed, ditto.