Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Possible Tumor at C2 location?

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

Possible Tumor at C2 location?

I recently went in for an MRI on my neck and something was found.

Here is what the radiologist noted:

"Within the posterior elements of the C2 vertebral body on the left there is some altered signal intensity possibly representing lipoma and/or hemangioma.  Area of altered signal intensities identified within the posterior elements at the approximate C-2 level on the left involving the lamina.  Question area of lipoma and/or hemangioma."

What kind of treatment would be needed for this finding?  I don't have any physical symptoms at this point.

Can anyone suggest what kind of specialist I could visit for this or what kind of problems I'm looking at?

At first I was terrified that it could be some kind of cancer, but my research led me away from that possibility.  What treatment is common for this kind of discovery?
I would suggest that you consult a neurosurgeon in your vicinity.
If this is a hemangioma in the bone and you have no symptoms then nothing much needs to be done. It is rare for these to give rise to problems.
Thank you for your reply, I have an upcoming appointment with a neurosurgeon in the near future.  I'll try and post their evaluation once I receive it.
I recently had an MRI done because of a stiff neck of three months.  It showed arthritus and bone spurs in the cervical spine.  I was sent for a shot in my spine with no relief.  At the same time the MRI showed a cold mass on my thyroid.  Is it possible that the pain is from the thyroid instead of the spine.  I have been scheduled for removal of the mass from the thyroid.
It is unusual for a benign thyroid mass in the front of your neck to give you neck pain and a stiff neck in the back of the neck. I suspect that this is from some mild cervical spondylosis as described by your MRI findings.