Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Sacroiliac pain, thoracic stiffness, neck stiffness

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

I am a female-age 55.  I have these undiagnosed symptoms, getting worse since 2001: 1-Aching stiffness across the back of my sacroiliac, that is now spreading forward into my lower pelvis;  2-A band of tightness around my upper chest; 3-Stiffness in my neck and at the base of my skull;  4-Momentary pulses in my head, with vision darkening; 5-Inability to walk too long, because weight bearing causes leg muscle pain and heaviness;  6-Disability:  I can not kneel down and get up, or walk on my toes, or stand on one leg. 7-I feel very ill every single day; I have morning stiffness; The hair has stopped growing on both legs; I get itchy rashes on my chest that last less than an hour.   What the doctors found so far:  Blood tests; (CBC, MET, TSH, and TB, all normal. ANA by EIA method, low positive. Doctor said it did not mean anything.).  X-rays in 2003:  Osteoarthritis of hands, knees, ankles, and spine.  MRI of neck and lumbar spine in 2005:  Multi-level degenerative disc disease, foraminal encroachment, facet disease and mild stenosis (cervical and lumbar.)  Physical therapist visit in 2007:  Joint hypermobility syndrome, kyphosis, mid-thoracic joint dysfunction, sacral pain and sacroiliac joint dysfunction.  She also said I was ½ inches shorter since 2005, and could have osteoporosis.  She assessed me as 46% disabled, but did not know why?   At my doctor’s appointment in March 2008, I wanted to know what was wrong with my WHOLE spine, and sacroiliac area, and WHY I have loss of function in my legs?  The doctor said the stenosis was not bad enough to cause my symptoms.  I told him the pelvic pain had become severe, and he ordered another lumbar MRI to “see if anything changed.”  I asked him to take an MRI of my pelvis, and he refused.  The MRI showed:  Multi-level broad based disc bulging, borderline stenosis, and several benign hemangiomas.  (Could I also have them in my pelvis, causing pain?)  What else could be wrong?  Do I need a pelvic MRI?

I would suggest that you see  a rhuematologist and get checked out for seronegative rheumatoid athritis among other possible causes of joint pain and possible sacroiliitis.
If this is all negative then you should get an EMG/NCS of your nerves. Aquatherapy with pain medications and low level laser therapy could be helpful in reducing your pain and getting you more mobile.
The doctor is ordering an EMG.  (I am very worried if it is painful).  Since my symptoms do not match my doctor's  diagnosis of moderate cervical and lumbar stenosis, I am seeking an answer.  Thank you for your advice.