Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Spina Bifida Occulta

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

Spina Bifida Occulta

I just found out that I have Spina Bifida Occulta, I'm assuming as the doctor who called about my x rays said I had grade one and one of my lower vertebra didn't completely close. Also my right hip joint is smaller than the left one. It always feels like my right leg is a little longer than the left. What can I expect in the future from this? How will it affect when I have a child?

I had a calcium deficiency when I was born and have had mulitple dental surgeries. could the calcium deficency have contributed to it?

Thank you,
Melissa
Having a spina bifida occulta is a relatively more common finding as more people get back X-rays. It is usually harmless and does not affect childbirth.
I suspect your pains have more to do with degenerative spine disease in your low back.
You may wish to consult with a spine doc and start a spine rehab program.
Also according ot my xrays, I have levoscoliotic curvature, max curve at L4 and mild degenerative disc disease at L3-L4 and L4-L5 and mild facet athrosis at the same places. I'm 37 so I know some of this is due to my age.

The Spina Bifida Occulta was at S1 which I read is npt unusual. What can I expect from all of this? I alredy have back and hip pain.

Thank you,
Melissa