Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Steriod Flare Up

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

Steriod Flare Up

I have recently had a cortesone shot in my L4 L5 and recently been told that I have a steriod flare up.   I have been experiencing strong pain where the injection was and now my pain is going through both my legs, which before the shot it was only going through one leg.  How long is steriod flare up suppose to last?  And what exactly is it?
Tags: flare ups
You should be on some simple NSAIDs for the pain. Some simple physical therapy could also help. Be guided by the advice from the doc that did your treatment.
On my second selective nerve root injection my nerve was touched and I can tell you I was in serious pain for about 5 -6 days. Then it finally subsided. the first and third were fine - they just wore off after a few weeks.

I was told that sometimes the needle can push on the nerve and irritate it plus all of the medicine causes more pressure. Incidentally I was ok the first day while it was numb. It got terrible once the numbing agent wore off.

Feel Better,

Julie