Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Tailbone pain

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

Tailbone pain

I am a 32 year old healthy male, 5 9, 160 pounds.  I play tennis several times a week.  A few years ago, I noticed that if I am seated and I sneeze my tailbone would hurt, then the pain would subside after a few minutes.  I don't recall injuring my tailbone.  The past few months I have noticed it more often, sometimes just sitting down and then getting up.  The soreness doesn't last.  Standing, running, etc, there is no pain.

Any thoughts on this and if I wanted to follow up with a doctor, who would be best?

Thanks.

Your symptoms are common in those with a slipped disc. This could be at the lowest lumbar disc called the L5-S1 disc.
I would suggest that you see a neurosurgeon for a spine evaluation and an MRI of the lumbar-sacral spine area + X-rays.

Dr Prem Pillay
www.spine-neuro.org
Sounds like a cyst on your tailbone. Go have it checked out.
I have suffered the same thing for  about six months.  But mine is anytime I sit. I can aleviate it with more cushion to sit on.  Had it exrayed and found out it was very mishapened.  I am beginning arthritis due to age  and believe this is the cause. So far there is nothing but pain management for it and I won't take another pill for anything.
Hope you find better answers.
zzzmykids
I can't believe I'm hearing other people have the same problem I've experienced for about 5 years.  When I mentioned to GP, he suggested sitting on pillow and leaning forward.

I'm just getting over the trauma of anal cancer ...and couldn't deal with seeing another specialist about joint issues.  

At my age, 74, and with history of cancer...I find docs are blowing me off in a way they didn't before battle with cancer.  By that I mean, they pay cursory attention to my requests...@ dermatologist's she barely froze a couple of ugly growths off back and chest....only commenting on my 'radiation tatoos' she has probably never seen before.

I was paying for a full body exam...and in past that meant I was asked what growths bothered me and they were frozen because they do nothing for self esteem...I almost had to beg her to take one off my face! She used to do light peels which I guess are not worth her time now.

I told a gyn @ MD Anderson that I didn't pursue relief for vaginal dryness caused by radiation as I thought I'd be dead within a year.  She had proper equipment and did a pap smear...then forgot to write script for vaginal estrogen...and told me to see a therapist.

Well...back to pain, my old friend, whether in knee, hip, back or tailbone...hope you have seen doc who will diagnose and treat....

A related discussion, Sitting hurts, also lying on back /right side was started.