Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
What is the Treatment for this and what are normal measurements

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

I had a anterior C5-6 disectomy with fusion 2 years ago and all went well until about 2 months ago and i began to have neck and shoulder pain again when i sleep i wake up and my hands are asleep. Had MRI and this is the results.
At C2-C3 there is no significant herniation, neural foramen stenosis or spinal stenosis.
At C3-C4 suggestion of mild uncovertebral joint hypertrophy and narrowing of the neural foramina on the right with potential irritation of the exiting C-4 nerve root.
At C4-C5 surgical artifact is present. Again this is a sugestion of some disc mateial or possibly osteophyte in the right neural foramen that could affect the exiting C-5 nerve root. This may be artifactual however is not definitely seen on sagittal images. The spinal canal measures 10 mm slightly narrowed some of this appearance however also could be due to the artifact from the sugical metal.
At C5-C6 are affected this level limits diagnostic evaluation. The spinal canal however measures 8mm and is somewhat narrowed. Neural foramina appear to be patent.
At C6-C7 again surgical artifact limits the diagnostic quality of the study the spinal canal is narrowed however measuring 8 mm. Neural foramina appear to be patent.
At C7-T1 no significant herniation, neuroforaminal stenosis or spinal stenosis.
Impression: Spinal canal narrowing at C5-C6 and C6-C7 as described. However there is artifact on this study. No large disc fragment, herniation or protrusion was detected however on this study.
What is the treatment for spinal canal narrowing and what are your measurements supose to be? Can anyone help me with this.
Thank you.
Your spinal canal narrowing is most likely from Degenerative spine disease with a combination of factors including disc prolapse, osteophytes, facet hypertrophy as the causes. In some people there is congenital spinal stenosis which is worsened by degeneration as they grow older. The presence of surgical artifacts however does make this a difficult diagnosis. If you have worsening symptoms a different type of test called a CT spine myelogram may be indicated.
I would suggest that you consult with a neurosurgeon.
Thank you for the information. I do have an Appointment with neurosurgeon and they have put me on a cancelation list also. Can you please tell me what the normal measurements should be? Thanks again.