Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
bone spurs and bulging discs in c3,4,5

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

bone spurs and bulging discs in c3,4,5

My husband has bone spurs and bulging discs in c 3, 4, and 5 and has been taking Ultram 100 mg tabs.    He takes 3 tabs t.i.d. and has been doing so for 7 years.   I keep telling him to get to a neurosurgeon, but he says "everyone I know that had their back or neck operated on is worse off ."

I am afraid he is destroying his liver and kidneys with this Ultram, but cannot convince him.  What can I do?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I share your concern with chronic NSAID use - however, if he is using them within prescribed limits (not taking more than recommended) and he has not liver or kidney problems, he should be OK - many people take medications forever and get worried - but then again, people take blood pressure and cholesterol medcines forever as well. Pain is often a chronic issue and cannot be 'cured'.

As for surgery - I must admit that some people do not do well and seem worse off; however, the majority of patients have relief with surgery when done for the right reasons. Expectations are very important.

Bone spurs and bulging discs might just be from aging and not anything or it could be something. He should get a professional opinion or two IF the symptoms are bad enough. You can always say NO to surgery.
i also had spurs in my lumbar, removal of facet joints plus compression on L5. I had L3 L4 L5 S1 and am doing pretty good my nerves was mangeled around my spine with siatic (sciatic) beat red and 3 times the size. I also have pain and if i do to much the next day pain shoots down my let. I do not regret haveing my surgery but the pain i was in before for 14 years and the pain i have now is something i can live with. Your husband needs to seek and research a spine dr. Mine is the Atlanta Falcons & Thrashers Dr. here in Atlanta. (Great he was the only one that found out my problem but my fusion is slow so i am praying it will fuse or i will have another one next year to have a cage put in. Good luck to him I also know what he is going threw, the pain can take over your wellbeing and mind. My neck was done in jan 07 C5 C6 C7 with spurs and spinal was completely mashed flat I had a cage put in and have no more headaces. I have alot of movement so alot has to do with your dr. Good luck

Pstone
BONE SPURS AND BULDGING DIDC MAY NOT BE THE CASUE OF HIS PAIN. MOST NECK PAIN IS POSTURAL/MUSCULAR--ESPECIALLY IF HE DOES NOT HAVE NUMBNESS/TINGLING/WEAKNESS DOWN THE ARM(S) AND INTO THE HANDS AND FINGERS.