Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
failed cervical surgeries

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

failed cervical surgeries

I had a C5-C7 fusion in August 2003 and then a C3-C5 fusion in January 2005 that left me permanently disabled per my employer and Social Security due to chronic pain and failed cervical surgery syndrome.  My question is, is there any published material that shares the results of multilevel cervical surgerys that are unsuccessful?  Though the neurosurgeon recommended the surgeries, I often wonder what if I had sought out more info for actual success results or alternative type surgery.

Many thanks
Dear Steve,

I sense that there is a litiginous flavor to your question. As such I can only tell you that cervical fusion is still regarded as standard of care in the US and many other countries.
Perhaps you should seek treatment at a multidisciplinary neurospine and pain center very much like the center that I come from. Such centers can be found I am sure in your region.
No doctor, I am in no way blaming or nor have or would consider litiginous with the doctors who performed the surgeries.  Actually, I am very thankful for the first surgery since it did achieve a high level of relief and I was back to my old self, up until a few months prior to the second surgery, when I was involved in an accident that spurred on the need for consideration of C3-C5.  It is that there are other individuals who claim alternative type of surgery may have worked better the second time.  Now all I have is time so that is how I found you and there are some many alternative treatments I am discovering, much like the one you discuss above in which you are involved.  When I go to these other centers, some have suggested that the second surgery had a relatively high level of failure compared to the first surgery, or rather, of not solving the problem.  So maybe that is a better way of putting it, is there any research or published opinions that discuss the success percentage of a second two level cervical fusion for the reduction of pain, possibly even vs. other treatment (though this part not that important).

I hopoe that the additional information is helpful and appreciate any direction you might be able to provide.