Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
lower back popping

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

lower back popping
I am not really sure what the problem is. I work at a local hospital and I assist with post surgical patients as a PCT and there are times that there is pulling and lifting. I noticed a few days ago that my right lower back would have a popping feeling when I used my left leg. There is minimal pain and discomfort that does go down into my left leg. I also noticed lower back discomfort and at times the discomfort radiates higher. The company physician took xrays that show no obvious problems...for whick I am thankful, but my back continues to pop and at times it seem to pop hogher then just my lower back. I was told that this is due to possible swelling from a muscle strain which would cause some places to not being properly aligned, due to the swelling. Hmmm, I am a little worried about this, I have never had any real back issues and therefore this is a little frightening. It feels like something is out of place and needs to be popped back in. Should I ask for anything specific from the company MD? I really love my career and hate for there to be a lasting consequence to my accident/back strain? Thank you
My best guess is that this is more than a muscle strain and could be early symptoms from a slipped or herniated disc.
X-rays alone may not show this. You need to get an MRI of the lumbar spine.
If you do have DDD (degenerative disc disease) please see a physiotherapist for acitve therapy as a preventive measure.