Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
neck issues

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

neck issues
Almost every time I yawn I fell something like a muscle or bone poking on my neck just below my jaw. It pokes and then i have to manually push it back until i yawn again.  I'm not sure what it is and hope you understand
It does not sound like anything serious. Its either a bony prominence of the cricoid cartilage which is below the jaw or a muscle spasm in that area.

Dr Prem Pillay

www.spine-neuro.org
My 17 yr. old son has a dislocated hyoid bone.  This is extremely rare.  He had flipped over a car after going down hill on his bicycle about 1 1/2 yrs ago.  He has had 2 knee surgeries and neck pain.  Over the past year these symptoms of popping in his neck started.  The hyoid bone is detatched from the ligaments on one side.  This was found through a video scope. He has pain up to his ear and temples, it blocks his airway when he turns his head, he chokes on small particles of food, and feels as if there is a golf ball in his throat and has panic attacks over this.

2 Ent's from Manhattan are working with him to figure out what type of surgery could resolve this.  One wants to resuspend the bone and the other wants to cut away the portion of the bone that blocks the airway and gives him the symptoms.

I truly appreciate any input you may have.
I would recommend trying to reconstruct the bone first.
If this does not work then a partical excision may be necessary.

Dr Prem Pillay

Director of Spine and Pain Services
Neuro Spine and Pain Center

A related discussion, bagk and neck pain was started.
A related discussion, neck pain was started.
A related discussion, swallowing issues was started.