Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
persistent back/chest pain following pneumonia...

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

I am a 32 y/o casual smoker (not everyday, over the course of 10 years).  I was diagnosed with pneumonia in January 08.  Took a course of antibiotics, subsequent x rays showed that the pneumonia had largely cleared with 'minimal right lobe infiltrate' remaining.
Three months later, I am still having chest and back pains.  They are not stabbing, more 'throbbing'.  No cough, some feeling that my chest is 'tight', though.  It's worse when I lie down, neither better nor worse if I exercise. Pain is worst beneath my shoulder blades, hurts into my neck as well.  Most of it feels superficial, but there is a throb on my right side deep where I think the pneumonia was (according to the x rays).  Also, had a low grade (38 degrees C) fever for 10 days about 2 weeks ago, that seems to have stopped.  I'm also having pain in both my hips, which are sore intermittently.  This has been going on for 3 weeks.
I went to a pulmonologist, he thought it was something to do with my spine.  We did a series of back X rays, they were also clear.  He wants to do a thoracic MRI, but because I live in America, my HMO wants to refuse this, as the x rays were clear.  
Should I be worried about getting it done?  How likely is it that this is a back problem and not a lung problem?
Your pains could be muscular. However persistence of the pain after so many months should be investigated. You should have blood tests for immunological and rheumatic problems. You should also have an MRI of your spine.