Back & Neck Community
50 day post-op L5-S1 PLIF w/ "electrical shocks"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Recovery from surgery has been largely "normal", and surgery appears to have fixed the original problems, so ... YAY!  50 days out though, I'm still on opiates, which I hate, and several times a day I get these "electrical shock" sensations at the surgical site that are so severe, they drop me to the floor howling. I'm concerned that I will drop from one of these and re-injure my new back!  This pain is solid 10, and I cannot treat with meds because I cannot tell when they'll happen, or if they'll happen. I haven't been able to find a particular mode of movement that causes it yet. I would just like to know if others get this, what causes it, and if it goes away. Thanks for any input! What a great group!
Hi there!

Post surgical pain is often due to associated inflammation and usually gets better with time. After an initial period of rest, physiotherapy is usually initiated which would also help alleviate discomfort and improve muscle strength. You could discuss the situation and the expected, prognosis in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!