Back & Neck Community
6 months of chronic muscle tension headaches (apex of the head)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I am a healthy 24 year old male, except for the fact that I have been experiencing chronic muscle tension headaches for about 6 months now. The headaches are essentially 24/7 dull pain at the apex of the head and back of the head. When I exercise (moderate to intense basketball), sometimes the pain is exacerbated to the point that additional and/or all of my scalp muscles experience the tension pain.  I have been seeing both a family practice doctor and a neurologist for this condition to no avail. Pain management has been successful via muscle relaxers, but the underlying problem does not seem to be improving. The headaches started about 6 months ago with no apparent cause that I can recall.

Hi...have either of ur Drs suggested a MRI of the cervical spine to look at the disks?

A fall, or a MVA yrs ago may  have weakened the area and just a hard cough could have been the last straw....

Do inquire about a MRI to make sure it is not something other then stress.