Back & Neck Community
7 weeks post 2 level anterior lumbar fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi! i just had back surgery 7 weeks ago. I was doing pretty well untli week 5- I drove 1.5 hours each way to take my son to the doctor. My doctor did not give me any sitting restrictions. SInce then - I've had pain daily. Not in the exact same place, but still in lower back. Prior to surgery--sitting was my problem. It caused my pain and I could not sit anymore. I'm 38 and that's why I had to do the surgery. ANY- positive stories or encouragement????? Thanks so much. Tammy
I had fusion surgery 7 weeks ago also. Sitting was also my problem before and still is. If I sit more than 1 hour or so at a time I am in pain again.
Sitting stretches the muscles that have been traumatized by the surgery and laying around. This is not my first back surgery, however when you start PT and resume to normal activity this will start to go away. Be patient it will loosen up over time. Always follow up with your DR. He may want to check you out or do any tests.
Hi there,
I had an anterior/posterior bilateral decompression/fusion of my L4-S1 8 years ago.
I wanted to share with you that I DID have sitting restrictions for the first couple of months.  No longer than an hour at a time then I would need to get up move around or lay down.
Are you in a brace?  
It does get better, I had very weird pains, tingling sensations etc after surgery and to be honest if it was not for my surgeons Head Nurse being there every second of the day for the first three months I would have gone crazy.
I had problems standing and sitting, and I was 31 at the time of my surgery.
Are you still in PT as well, I know I hated PT and I tried to avoid it, fortunately my family stayed on top of me so that I went every time.  The PT is key.  You have to remember what was done to your body 7 weeks ago.
All those muscles were cut, pulled back and then stitched back up, so anything that you do for a long period of time is going to make you feel pain or uncomfortable.
If you are still having pain after a day or two I would suggest you call your surgeon.
That is what they are there for, no question is too silly believe me, spinal surgery is serious business and your surgeon knows that so anything that you feel that you do not think is normal call immediately, more than likely you will be told that it is normal, but this is your health and you know your body better than anyone so do not feel bad about taking charge of it.
I know I didn't have any great answers, but my experience is the only answer I can give.
I hope you feel better soon.
Trish
hello, i had a 2 level fusion on 7/16/09 my back pain started in jan. 09 as a back ache that would only last 1 or 2 hours in the morning, as time went on it got worse, by may 09, i was seening a pain management doctor getting steriod shots they didn't help, so i went to a spine specialist. by this time i could only walk about 10 steps. now it's 9/2/09 i can walk as far as i like sit as long as i want still a liitle pain but the doctor said it is normal and don't over do it i will return to work on 9/11/09. light duty & no heavy lifting               also if you find yourself with bad back pain see the specialist i waisted time with my family doctor who sent me to another doctor who was still doing wastefull test & shots that lasted about 8 weeks when i made the step myself to go to  the surgon so much pain that did not have to be