Back & Neck Community
ACDF good experience

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

ACDF good experience

Hi All,

I had ACDF surgery 3 weeks ago by Professor Michael A Murphy at St Vincents Private in Melbourne. 3 weeks prior to the surgery i was diagnosed with a ruptured c5 c6 disc with significant spinal cord compression. This was a huge shock as i had NO neck pain but progressively worsening bilateral pins and needles in both hands that was slowly continuing up my arms.

After the diagnosis i googled ACDF and found plenty of negative stories about the procedure that frightened the living hell out of me. As such, I went and got a second opinion from another well known neuro surgeon and after confirming the inevitable, i booked in with prof Murphy for the ACDF.

This is where my story differs from others found on google. My experience has been really positive.  Professor Michael A Murphy has to be the best neuro surgeon in Melbourne. The day after surgery i was up and walking around with medium neck pain. Day 3 i was out of hospital and back at home. By day 7 post surgery pain was minimum and 2 / 500m walks per day were possible without any discomfort or pain. For the last week the neck pain had all but gone and i have been out walking for an hour a day. The hardest thing i have found doing is holding back and not pushing it. As for the symptoms, they are progressively getting better, but i understand that with long term nerve damage it can take some time to heal after the cause has been removed.

I am just so happy and relieved with how everything has gone. Anyone who is putting off getting this surgery done shouldn't. Most people are only motivated to write about there negative experiences. The reality is that while there are some very sad stories, most experiences with ACDF are positive. The risks of getting the surgery done far outweigh the risks of not getting it done.