2 years ago I had a acdf surgery C5 & 6. A year later another acdf surgery on C4 & 5. Now, I am having similiar problems on my neck and left arm again. Doc said C1 & 2 are deteriorating. Has anyone ever heard of 3 acdf surgeries within 3 or 4 years of each other? Also, do I have to wait until my arm and neck really hurts or should I proceed with this surgery soon if that is what the doctor ordered.
Sounds like you need a second opinion, maybe a new DR? I do not understand why this Dr only did one level at a time. I bet if you look at your reports. Both levels had marks by them. Something is weird. I personnelly would see another Dr.
Sorry....don't understand the acronym you've used ACDF?? Something to do with a fusion? My neurosurgeon wouldn't perform a fusion on me because she said that it places undue stress on the levels above and below where you've been fused....making it very probable that further surgery will be needed in the future. When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. As athene2 said, I'd also get a second opinion and maybe even a third before having yet another operation - or another fusion. I had a cervical laminoplasty at C3-C7....this is a procedure where the surgeon opens up the lamina at each of those levels and creates an "open door", tacking the lamina back to preserve stability while creating more room for my spinal compression. It was quite successful and I am happy I chose that option. Good luck, whatever you do! Jo
I had a two level acdf at the end of Nov./07. My MRI showed the 4-5 level worse than the one below it, which was showing more of a large bulge rather than a rupture. I went to 3 surgeons for opions. Two of the surgeons recommended a 2 level fusion. The surgeon that I went with initially talked about doing an artificial disc on 4-5 and leaving 5-6 alone. It didn't feel right to me, because the research I did showed that fusions tend to put pressure on levels above and below. I knew that if he didn't address the other I would be back to surgery in a year. In fact when I was in the hospital I met a woman who had the same surgeon as I. She was back after only 9 months. In your situation your other discs may have been already deteriorating to a large degree and the fusion put added pressure on them. In my case and the other womans case the surgeon commented that the discs were much worse than the MRI indicated. I too would get another opinion. I wonder if they could use an artificial disc if you end up in surgery. You would have more mobility.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.