Back & Neck Community
Acute pain in right side of neck and shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

6387473?1290547923
I am having pain in my right side of neck ( actually just above may be it might be at occipital region). I would rate my pain as  7 (1 to 10: 1 is being no pain and 10 is maximum). Now since the last 2 years pain started in right shoulder and arm (5 and 3 pain index) . I am exactly not sure when and how I got it. I am having this since 10 years. Right now I am 30 yrs. Left side is perfect without pain. But for right side I live with pain day in day out :(

I visited a GP, and she suggested me to go for MRI
So I took 2 MRI's at neck and shoulder, and doctor told me that  nothing is wrong and suggested physical therapy. After 15 sessions, i still have same amount of pain. My physical therapist suggested me to chiro.
Sadly chiro sessions aggravated my pain...so I stopped. I am not sure what is happening with me if everything shows normal in x rays and mri. How do I identify the problem? Please help me

PS: MRIs have been checked by my Physical therapist and chiro and they said the same thing - no issues
and also i have attached a picture showing my pain (My origin of pain).
I had the similar but my pain was behind my shoulder blade and into my arm however it sounds very similar to your pain and my doctor did a medial branch nerve block and the pain went away and has not returned for about 3 years so far... Medial branch nerves are small nerves that feed out from the facet joints in the spine, and therefore carry pain signals from those joints. A medial branch nerve block temporarily interrupts the pain signal being carried by the medial branch nerves that supply a specific facet joint. If it works, they normally go back and do what's called Radio Frequency Lesioning which is a procedure using a specialized machine to interrupt nerve conduction on a semi-permanent basis. They say the nerves are usually blocked for 6-9 months (can be as short as 3 months or as long at 18 months) but the first one did the trick for me! Good luck.  Hope this info helps.
Hi skmedlin27703, Thanks for the reply.
I have few questions
Which specialist suggested you to go for medial branch nerve block? I mean is it neuro surgeon?
Can you also tell me about the treatment, does it have any side effects?