Advice for possilbe fusion/screws/steel rods
I am a 51 year old female.  I had lumbar back surgery when I was 17, 20 and 24.  The last time I was told that they were doing a double fusion.  I just found out that I now have bulging discs at L1 and L3/4.  I just had the epidural injection today to see if that will help.  My doctor is talking about possible surgery that would involve putting in 8 screws, 2 steel rods and a bone fusion.  He said this is my "4th and final" chance...there is no 5th chance.

Have any of you had this procedure done and if so, what are your regrets (if any) or was it successful?  I was told I would have a 40-50% chance of success.

I'm terrified of this decision.
This sounds very frightening. Are you in a lot of pain?   I would get a second or even third opinion.
My friend had a similar situation where she had to have a cage built around her spine.  She had to have surgery as she was losing bowel control however she went to 3 doctors before deciding
This is a serious operation
I wish you all the best
Dee